allergy Health

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by katie134, Mar 17, 2016.

1. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie

allergy

I was on here about blue getting rashes , anyways his been good for 3 weeks , the last two weeks we've been walking on long walks round the street to see if grass was the cause .blue and me went back to play last week and have been going again ever since , all under his arms are now red raw and his chest is started to go red also between his paws a little bit . I contacted his breeder and apparently his mum get grass allergy , has anyone dealt with this and is it possible if his mum has it . I feel bad because blues a big dig and needs to run and there's nowhere else for me to run him , but I also don't have th money to bring him vets every month , does anyone have any advice in what I could do .
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    katie134 likes this.
    If you can't avoid grass, you could try showering her off every time you take her on it as soon as you get home. It won't stop the allergy, but may go some way to lessen the symptoms.
  4. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Thank you for the reply Chris , I would do this but blue has a massive fear of water lol he won't even go near the shower over tryed putting him near the bath and he goes mad , it's something with working on but he won't even walk in puddles lol .
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    katie134 likes this.
    You could use a Terry cloth wetted with a Simple soap solution to wash his legs and belly. Fix a tie ring to the wall to keep him in one place while you do it. Pat him dry with a rough towel afterwards.
    It is possible to treat allergic conditions in dogs with an antihistamine, but I would prefer you to clear this with your vet, as Blue is still very young.
  6. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Yeah we do use sponges to soak him down because we've been using a special shampoo from the vets when things flare up .I will look into putting one of them up that could be a good help as his very strong . I've been told to give him piertion I asked my vet and she said his very young aswell but I would give anything a try really don't want to have to not let him have runs , but I don't want it to get worser as it's been so much money the last few month we've been in the vets twice with him and the first time it got infected from him scratching it . It makes perfect sense to be the grass , especially if his mum gets the exact same thing . Thanks you for your advice carole☺.
  7. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    katie134 likes this.
    Unfortunately blue dogs, and any dilute colours tend to have more allergy and skin issues (one of the reasons the Pit Bull was never bred to be blue), it especially seems to be a big problem if both of the parents are dilute. Does he get it all year round or only recently? If it is so severe that he can't play on the grass as much maybe looking into doing something like bikejor, normal biking, using a weighted backpack/harness or weight pull with him. Those will all help tire him out and are good exercise but you could also avoid grass a little so he isn't constantly itchy?
  8. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Yes both his parents are blue , I was scared about that when getting him , but I fell in love with him and he has such a lovely nature . His 6 months next week and it's started to appear when he got to 4 month , but I've left the park for 2 weeks it goes , then comes back . The first time under his arms were dreadful he was on antibiotics and it was infected , the second time it was all over his chest and looked dreadful as well but some steriod cream healed it up . It's annoying I'm gonna leave him out for a week and see if it goes and bring him back and see how long it takes to reappear , to just be certain . Thanks for all your help , I will keep you updated on what happens .
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    katie134 likes this.
    In other news, did the breeder tell you that the mom had allergies before you bought the puppy? If the breeder did tell you that, did she also tell you WHY she bred a dog with allergies? I don't understand breeding a dog that isn't free of health problems (many of which are probably genetic such as this one).
  10. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    mjfromga likes this.
    No she didn't tell me , even when blue got his first rash I rang up and asked and she didn't come foward about it , only now has she actually came out with it and she wasn't very helpful either .
  11. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    katie134 likes this.
    Most unfortunate. Sorry about Blue being so itchy. I hope people who have bought from her make sure nobody else does. She doesn't seem like a good breeder at all.
  12. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    mjfromga likes this.
    Thanks you , yes very annoyed think she was just in it for money and not the welfare of these pups , it's just something I am going to have to cope and manage with and find methods to help him when it flares up .