American Indian Dog General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by dixiechick, Mar 29, 2007.

1. dixiechick

dixiechick New Member

Name:
    Liesl

American Indian Dog

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone owned an American Indian Dog?

I am very very interested in the breed and would love to meet one!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    I've just posted some links on your other thread :grin: :grin:
  4. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Don't own one, but deffinatley on my wish list!
  5. running cloud

running cloud New Member

Name:
    Maggie
    http://www.nighteyesfarms.net ht... i think, take a look and see what you think!
  6. Schapiro

Schapiro New Member

Name:
    Kaetlyn
    Hey there!
    I was looking into that breed a while back, thinking about getting one, but then I came across the Utonagan and I fell in love :) . I reccomend this site though:
    www.terrapines.com
    there's lots of photos up and such, and the woman who runs it is very helpful if you've got any questions. And her dogs are beautiful!
  7. KirstenR

KirstenR New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Do a bit more research on the "breed", it was basically created by some guy a few decades ago, along with an interesting story about the "creation" of the breed. Basically, I'm sorry to say that it's a hoax and a scam. Why do I know this, because we almost purchased one a few years ago, when he hadn't covered his tracks as well as he has now. It's a few people running a scam, selling mixed breed dogs as a single breed. The website museumofhoaxes even mentions it on the site. If you're getting them because you like the way they look, go for it, but if you're getting them because you like his story run the other way.
  8. Schapiro

Schapiro New Member

Name:
    Kaetlyn
    KristenR, I had heard something about that as well.
    I didn't do enough research into the breed to figure out whether or not it was true. The woman at terrapines filled me in good on her dogs temperaments, health, etc, but I'm always very cautious when talking to breeders because I know that a good amount of them will lie and make things up in order to sell their dogs, and refrain from giving straightforward answers as well-I'd rather like to talk to the breeder AND owners of dogs they've produced.
    I had also heard that the first breeder of the dogs originally bred wolf hybrids, but then changed the name of the dogs because of controversy about wolf and wolf hybrid ownership. But I don't know if that's true or not, so don't take my word for it-it's only somthing I had dug up durring my small amount of research.

It's probably been about a year since I've looked into anything about them, and my interest in them wasn't the strongest so I didn't do too much research.
  9. KirstenR

KirstenR New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    We basically were told the same thing, that they were saying wolf, until people got worried. Then they created this cute story, because who doesn't want a "Native American Dog". I've met a couple people at dog clubs and such that purchased dogs from the guy that started the craze, the dogs were nice personality wise but I'm not sure I would trust them around small kids or animals. They had a bit too much prey drive for the average dog.

The guy actually admitted it (that they were actually wolf hybreds mixed with several nordic breeds-so much for native 'eh?) a few years ago, then said that he was "recreating the breed", then changed it back to "authentic american indian dogs".

Be careful, I've heard some not so nice things about the dogs being inbred and suffering for it. The guy that started this whole thing is probably one of the least nice people I've ever spoken to, and actually went after (legally speaking) a few husky breeders that called him out on the issue.
  10. dixiechick

dixiechick New Member

Name:
    Liesl
    Thanks for the info. I will be researching in to this some more!!
  11. KirstenR

KirstenR New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Welcome Dixie, and good luck on your doggy seach. :)
  12. dixiechick

dixiechick New Member

Name:
    Liesl
    Thank you KirstenR.

My nextdoor neighbour has a Boerboel X Rhodesian Ridgeback she is huge! ( the dog not my neighbour!!)
  13. KirstenR

KirstenR New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Yeah they're pretty big dogs, I just fell in love with the breed oneday while searching online. A few trips to breeders, and one long trip to the final pick of breeders and I was in love. My boerboel puppy was born 2 weeks ago yesterday, we're still waiting for pictures. I hope to train him to be a service animal, and therapy dog. I can't wait! I'm all into that new mommy madness...
  14. iceeyes

iceeyes New Member

Name:
    beanster
    HI, this would be to Kirsten,
    I know of a few people who have American Indian dogs,
    and was wondering what stopped you from getting one?
    You mentioned about him,I gather its LaFlamme of Song Dog
    Kennels,not covering his tracks some years back???
    I know there is questions about his dogs,even in the past.
  15. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    What do they mean by 'Certified Breeder' ? Have they been committed to an asylum ?

If not they need to be !

Just another excuse to make a 'designer' breed and claim it's something it's not, or from somewhere in the World it's not, or from origins it has nothing to do with.
  16. iceeyes

iceeyes New Member

Name:
    beanster
    Which dogs are you talking about?
    The American Indian Dogs, or the Native American Indian
    Dogs with the Certified Breeder?
    In either case they are both creations of what both breeders
    think the dogs looked like way back when.
    At least with the Native Indian Dogs they look alot alike.
    The American Indian ones can look alot different from each
    other.
  17. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    The answer is in your own reply !

NATIVE American Indian Dog !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a CREATION, it's not NATIVE !

Like I said, "claiming to be what's it's not" !
  18. KirstenR

KirstenR New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Basically what had appealed to me was the idea of it being an ancent breed...once we learned that he had simply created it...and was lying his tushie off while running essentially a puppy mill it lost it's thrill. I'm sure the dogs are great, they're dogs after all. But he's gone back and forth on his stories so many times it's insane. I have nothing against new breeds, my problem lies with someone lying about them and using it as a marketing gimmick.
  19. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Here, here ;-)
  20. KirstenR

KirstenR New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I can't help but chuckle at the "certified breeder" comment :smt002

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding those breeds are one and the same. Even if seperate breeds neither is a native breed, nore ancent as the certified breeder claims. That's the joy of breeding, when it's your breed all you have to do to be a certified breeder is say you are. The only difference is that other breeders picked up on it and started making their own mixed breeds and giving them the same name. Considering nobody really knows what dogs he's used, or is using to create his ancent breed they all look different. Some have more wolf clearly in them, some more herding dogs...it's just a nice cess pool at this point.

Creating a dog breed is fine, awesome even. But calling it an ancent breed and using "native american" to sell it isn't.
  21. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Well said Kirsten ;)