Anxiety in Car General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Kash's Mama, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber

Anxiety in Car

When I take my Mal on car rides, he is constantly drooling. He has done this since I got him at 2 months old. My fiance and I talk to him while riding and reassuring him everything is alright. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can do to help ease this anxiety? I hate seeing him under so much stress and want him to want to go on car rides.
    The picture below was taken in September 2019 on a 25 minute ride to the store.
    IMG_7508.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What works for one doesn’t always work for another.
    I would try regular short car rides to fun places, ie: parks ect.

Ginger is very good for settling tummys.
    Scullcap and Valerian from Dorwest
    Rescue Remedy ect:
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My elder Beagle was just like this. I used Stugeron 15 tablets for him. He had a tablet at least an hour before every car ride. If we were setting off in the early hours on a long journey, I gave one at bedtime the night before, and another half before we set off. My boy responded quite quickly, we didn't quite finish the first packet. If you decide to try them, don't tell the chemist that you are using them for a dog - by law they are not allowed to supply for pets.
    Travelling on a large towel will keep the slimy mess to a minimum. A covered crate can be a help, but for a large dog, it does take up a lot of space. When they begin to make the association that the car is taking them to fun places, they usually start to get more enthusiastic about travel. Ginger does seem to help settle queasy stomachs.
  5. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely be trying those. Our vet recommended Pepcid for upset stomach but now he is just drooling and then having an upset stomach when we reach our destination. I am just reading to try anything so that he can associate riding to going someplace fun- no matter where it is.