Any Chessie people out there?? General Chat

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Bay Retriever' started by PRINCESS PIGGY, Feb 20, 2009.

1. PRINCESS PIGGY

PRINCESS PIGGY New Member

Name:
    PRINCESS PIGGY

Any Chessie people out there??

I've had Jack for 3 1/2 years and have only seen 3 other Chessies in that time .......... all at Sandringham Country Show.

Is there anyone else out there with any?? It would be nice to chew the fat with others about my baby and generally.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alf

Alf New Member

Name:
    rona
    I have a Chessy in the house, though not technically mine, he belongs to my OH. He's called Muddy
  4. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Pictures please, they're gorgeous!
  5. morganmarbles

morganmarbles New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Hello!

We have a 1 year old goon called Murphy! There should be some pics in our profile if we got it working properly! Will try and get some more up soon.

How's the training going? We've started gundog training with him and having a few 'young' moments! Was going to post a new topic but as there's a Chessie specific post going: Does anyone have any good ideas how to stop him being a cheeky so and so and running off to play with other dogs when he's supposed to be working? At home and on his own his retrieving is getting really really good then I turn up at class and look like I've done nothing over the last week! He'll focus on the dummy and dart out like he's about to do the trophy run, picks it up then decides to completely ignore the recall and go and see all the other dogs sitting fairly patiently to heel. You can actually see him look at you when you call and think... naaaaaaaaaah! I'm off!

Even a stay which on his own I can do for 5 mins or so in a group lasts about 4 steps at the moment!

If I walk off he will leave them alone and come back to me eventually but even then is reluctant to come close (can probably tell by my eye rolling that I'm not happy).

I've tried being treat heavy and running round making as many excited noises as possible. Any other suggestions? Our trainers really good and is telling us it's a lot to do with his age but also understandably has to focus on the other dogs in the class. Chessies as a breed are known for their... 'obstinence' and a need for 'negotitation'. Anyone from experience know what they want?!
  6. PRINCESS PIGGY

Name:
    PRINCESS PIGGY
    Hi Morganmarbles

Your message made me smile - and brought back some memories!:-D

Jack isn't Gundog trained, but he did go to normal Training Classes ......... and was as difficult as yours sounds. Cheese was always a good treat and would keep Jack interested for a little while. I also find that it doesn't matter how exciting you try and make things, it just doesn't wash ..... Jack will do what he wants to do when he wants to do it one minute, then be the perfect student the next - even now and he is nearly 4. :009:

So.......... no really useful tips, sorry!
  7. Alf

Alf New Member

Name:
    rona
    They want to be in charge, they also want to be the centre of the universe. Best of luck to you :lol:
    Ours was going to be a gundog, but became very ill at about 11months and we very nearly lost him a few months later. It was touch and go, we had been discussing having him PTS as he had been suffering for a long time. Luckily, shortly after that he started to recover slowly and is now, at 4 years old a reasonably healthy dog.
  8. morganmarbles

morganmarbles New Member

Name:
    Helen
    ah well at least we arent the only ones. He has very stubborn moments but he is still growing up so hopefully it will get at least a little better with time. Cheese is one of Murphys favourites so he only gets his when he is training but still 9 times out of 10 the other dog is still more exciting!

That must have been a very hard time for you Alf, Murphy had an incident with a motorbike when he was about 5 months old and it breaks your heart when they arent in the best of health. You wouldnt believe anything had happened with the boy now!

Hope we can keep with the chessie updates, there arent many of us about!!!
  9. morganmarbles

morganmarbles New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Decided I need to get some control back over the goon so all the work I'm going to do now is going to be on the lead or long line so he can't get away with not doing as he's told. Lot's of heel work, short recalls, waits, distance sits and downs and reinforcement until he's back to 100%. He can have a short 5 minute run off the lead every day and he can be off the lead when I'm running with him on the beach (because he can't be disobedient there - I don't ask him to do anything but run! No arguements believe me!) Will let you know how it goes...
  10. Alf

Alf New Member

Name:
    rona
    Best of luck
    If it was Muddy, he would argue against the restrictions and make our lives hell:lol:
  11. PRINCESS PIGGY

Name:
    PRINCESS PIGGY
    Good Luck and let me know how you get on .........

I'm sorry to hear that your babies have both been poorly - i don't know what i'd do if Jack was ever seriously ill ........ the only thing I have had to deal with, so far, is his face swelling up because of something he had been up to in the garden - that was bad enough!
  12. morganmarbles

morganmarbles New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Quick update, Murphs is taking to the discipline of the lead now though he was very grumpy about not being free early on. He's learning that if he's good the cheese is plentiful and eventually we see fit to let him have his legs for a bit anyway! Still to be tested with other dogs around but we shall see. I am definately going to be relying on the long line at the start!

He's done no retrieving at all while we're working on the heel work and I've even managed to get him doing a few distance sits as well (though not to the whistle and only in the garden with his dinner). He's a little grumpy still about it but I think he's coming round...
  13. morganmarbles

morganmarbles New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Had a fantastic training session last night. I was very worried because it started much as all the rest - with Murphs being uber excited and wanting to play more than train. After an initial run around the class when he was supposed to be heal-ing the trainer took a hold of him by the collar looked him in the yes and said quietly but firmly... "NO" The long line was put on and left to trail behind him. As if by magic the lights clicked on and the goon was glued to my side!!! We had three retrieves all with the long line on (as did the whole class) and for the first time in weeks... months... Murphs was finally top dog. He waited with one quiet command, went out like a dervish and picked up. On the way back he showed a bit of interest in trying to go to the other dogs but as the long line went taught he refocused and put the dummy straight in my hand! HURRAH! The long line will be staying on for a while longer now to reinforce things. The trainer has already said it'll drop off again before it gets better but I've got no bald patches from pulling my hair out this week! YAY!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  14. morganmarbles

morganmarbles New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Think I've finally worked out how to get a few pics up - old and new!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope it works!!!
  15. Alf

Alf New Member

Name:
    rona
    Well done, you must be over the moon
  16. morganmarbles

morganmarbles New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Hee hee! Murphs is turning into a model! This pic was taken the other day and it came out so well I had to share it with you!

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  17. PRINCESS PIGGY

Name:
    PRINCESS PIGGY
    Oh my god, Murphs is gorgeous! He has the most beautiful eyes. Where did you get him from?? (obviously, he is not as lovely as Jack, that goes without saying!!!! :grin: )

Here are a couple of pictures of Jack - they don't compare to your model snaps, but they are okay.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_mpt71zO2VNY/SgmQlBZ8qZI/AAAAAAAABcA/OQC9w2gc-z0/s128/SMILER.jpg

[img]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_mpt71zO2VNY/SgmQlfWhiZI/AAAAAAAABcE/mRjwY_vAtJc/s128/CHRIS%26JACK.jpg
  18. PRINCESS PIGGY

Name:
    PRINCESS PIGGY
    [​IMG]

I was being blonde!!! Hopefully, it worked.
  19. PRINCESS PIGGY

Name:
    PRINCESS PIGGY
    It's a bit small - any tips on how i get them bigger??
  20. morganmarbles

morganmarbles New Member

Name:
    Helen
    You need to change your code on the originals... hopefully this should work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You missed a [/img] on the end of each pic link...

As for getting them bigger... it depends on how big they are on where they're posted I think! I've posted mine on my hotmail account and linked to them!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009