Any Coonhounds here? General Chat

Discussion in 'Coonhound' started by werewolf, Jul 12, 2008.

1. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private

Any Coonhounds here?

Hi, I just watched the end of the Dog Whisperer and there was a lovely dog on there, a Coonhound. I don't think I have ever come across this breed before. Any Coonhound fans on Dogsey?:grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
  4. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I dont think you get them in this country (well, we dont have raccoons after all!), just seems to be the USA but I agree they are lovely looking dogs.

I've seen them in lots of American films as well and do remember they are a typical hound with regards to following scents and baying! They remind me of a bloodhound in many ways.

You get many differet ones such as the Bluetick, Black and Tan, Redbone and the English (which isnt English at all!)
  5. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    Apparently bloodhound went into their breeding Leanne :)
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    They are fabulous, LOVE the Redbones and the Blue ticks, sadly none in the UK but very much a working dog. Seen videos of them tracking Racoons (hence the name) also seen video of them holding a Cougar at bay.
  7. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Lol, just looked at that link! Had my Bruce Fogle Encyclopedia handy when I wrote my first post!
  8. stunt monkey

stunt monkey New Member

Name:
    paul
    i have 1 a treeing walker coonhound their are 10 in the country and we got zara a month ago she is now 8 months old and lovely their was also i more "pup"available and i would gladly put people in touch with the breeder .zara is a lovely dog she was very protective over food with our collie cross but we have solved that little hiccup to anyone considering a coonhound i would say go for it they are brave not fazed easily and love being fussed, i wanted a coonhound for years and now thast i have 1 do not feel at all dissapointed.
  9. coonhound201

coonhound201 New Member

Name:
    Herb
    I have a redbone that i recused from a local shelter. She is an amazing dog. I do not use her for hunting or tracking though. Here is a pic of Reba.

[​IMG]
  10. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    What a beautiful dog. Such pretty eyes xx
  11. coonhound201

coonhound201 New Member

Name:
    Herb
    Thank you!
  12. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I always wanted one of these until I researched the breed and found out how much noise they make. Apparently they roam of and alot of them get killed on roads/railways etc.

I like the Blue tick ones best. I could not find any in this counrty either.

Don't you go posting the breeders details.

Coonhound201. Lovely dog you have there.

So. Are they very load and barky and do they roam off???????
  13. EgyptGal

EgyptGal New Member

Name:
    SHARON
    I love the look of them, and as for wondering off that's scenthounds for you:roll:
  14. coonhound201

coonhound201 New Member

Name:
    Herb
    My redbone doesn't make a sound in the house unless she wimpers to go outside. But at the dog park she is a different dog all you can hear is her bellowing bark! And yes we can't walk her with out a leash although we do take her in our front yard which is fenced in with out a lead or a leash.