Any ideas on what my staffy is mixed with?? General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by lelawoof, Oct 1, 2011.

1. lelawoof

lelawoof New Member

Name:
    Janet

Any ideas on what my staffy is mixed with??

Hi there, I was given a 3 month old lovely pup by a friend of a friend around a month or so ago. I was not used to being around Staffordshire Bull Terriers previously but I was pleasantly surprised at how lovely natured and intelligent she is. In the 4-5 weeks i have owned her she has been an absolute pleasure, she had already learnt to go to the toilet in the garden, to sit before being fed/given treat, to stay in one spot if told to do so and will now sleep all the way through the night and is just really well behaved in general.
    I am intrigued as to what breed she is crossed with as her features are not those of a typical pure breed staffy. (See pics below.) My vet has suggested that she may be crossed with a labrador due to her paw size, unusual coat and temperament. I have previously owned a Lab and her behavior seems fairly similar. But I thought I'd ask your opinions, if anyone can shed any light on the situation or has any thoughts as to what breed she could potentially be crossed with please feel free to comment. I understand it's difficult to say at this early stage with her only being 4 months but your thoughts will be appreciated.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shelleyp

Shelleyp New Member

Name:
    Shell
    She is beautiful! What a face :)
  4. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    She looks crossed Dogue du Bordeaux to me:) ... and very sweet too:) She has that wrinkly forehead and beautiful amber eyes of the dogue:)
  5. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    What ever she is crossed with, she is absolutely stunning x
  6. Jenn~n~Luke

Jenn~n~Luke New Member

Name:
    Jenn
    I don't think so...you would typically find a shortening of the snout if crossed with a mastiff not one that got longer. The jaw length and width just doesn't work for a DDB IMO.
  7. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    I don't know but she is beautiful! The eyes do look ddb-ish but I think as jennandluke said the muzzle on your pup is a bit long for that.

I would guess staffie cross with a dog with floppy ears and a non-shortened muzzle such as a lab or Weimaraner.

Also when guessing crosses most of the time they are crossed with a breed that is fairly commonly seen so a lab would fit that description.

Looks like she's going to be quite big :) she does kind of resemble a pit which from what I have seen some lab x staffies can do..
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011
  8. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    I thought ddb in first picture but her muzzle is quite long. she is gorgeous but she does fit "type" to a tee so you need to stick with staffy cross. I would say she would get interest from the wrong people so please don't tie her up anywhere unattended etc.
  9. lelawoof

lelawoof New Member

Name:
    Janet
    Thank you for all your responses so far it's much appreciated. Her coat is quite similar to that of a Dogue du Bordeaux, we recently came across one on a walk in the park which happened to be the exact same age, they both got on really well but their was few similarities aside from similar fur colour. I think in the future if I ever do decide to get another dog a DDB would definately be my choice though, lovely dogs!
  10. lelawoof

lelawoof New Member

Name:
    Janet
    Don't worry I would never leave my puppy tied up anywhere. :) Thanks for your message.
  11. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    I thought her face looked a little like a shar-pei:grin: but she is very pretty:grin:
  12. Rubster

Rubster New Member

Name:
    Rubster
    I agree with this, I thought very type too. Very gorgeous though xx
  13. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    cute :) lab or vizla?
  14. lelawoof

lelawoof New Member

Name:
    Janet
    Hi, out of interest what do you mean by very 'type'?
    Thanks
  15. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    colour - ? Vizla
  16. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    I think she is gorgeous. There are so many crosses about that she could be anything. I just say mongrel end of.

She is beautiful though and clever as you say.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    She is lovely, whatever she is!
  18. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    why not?colour,floppy ears,muzzle? ...just an idea
  19. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    To be honest the one dog I don't see in there is a stafford so I would just say she is Heinz 57 cross.

As she is still young you might want to wait until she is developed a bit but I just don't see Stafford at all.
  20. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Meaning 'pit bull type' which is how the dangerous dog act refers to dogs they cannot prove are pure bred american pitbulls but who they believe have been bred to be of 'pit bull type'. As Pitbull is a mixed breed (as most different pedigrees are or at least started out) Some people started to breed Stafforshire crosses to get a dog that looked like a pitbull, but wasn't one in order to try to get around the dangerous dogs act. The DDA responded by adding 'pitbull type' to the description to allow the police to seize dogs they believe were 'of type' without having to prove any actual pitbull blood.

It is not illegal to own a dog of 'pitbull type', but the police can and do seize them if they think they pose a threat... Don't get your dog a big chain lead, or macho harness or collar, allow your dog to be the big soppy dog it clearly is and you'll be fine.
  21. lelawoof

lelawoof New Member

Name:
    Janet
    Ahh, I see. To be honest I'd be very surprised if she was crossed with a pitbull but after looking online I can see there are some similarities. I currently just have a normal red collar for her and a standard retractable lead, as mentioned previously she is extremely well behaved and doesn't behave remotely aggressively at home or in public and is actually rather timid around some dogs, even if smaller than her. Do you think I am likely to face issues walking her in public if she is deemed by others to look like a pitbull type? I would hate to face possibilities of her being seized or wrongly accused of being a dangerous dog.
    Thanks for your response by the way your opinions are much appreciated.