Any thereby (doesn't) hang a tail! Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by CaroleC, Oct 7, 2014.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz, Pork1epe1 and 6JRT's like this.

Any thereby (doesn't) hang a tail!

As some of you know, Tweed has been a bit of a health worry since she became a teenager, and this weekend has proved even more stressful. On Saturday night she decided to self operate on a sebaceous cyst on her tail, and managed to open up an angry weeping wound of about 15cm across and 10cm deep. This morning she saw our lovely vet, who gave us the option of either a 3 day course of AB/AI's in the hope that it would settle enough for a tidy-up op. on Wednesday, or a tail amputation. As she was constantly 'at it', and our vet assured us that her heart condition would not be a problem, we reluctantly decided on the latter course.
    We picked her up at 4.30, and though we were given a 'collar of shame' - this just threw her into a panic attack. As she didn't seem to want to chew at her stump, we have decided to trust her with just a length of foam pipe insulation fitted like a roll onto her collar. It looks so strange, seeing her with a little white bandaged stump - and a shaved bum - instead of her bushy brown flag, but she doesn't seem to be in any pain - and has eaten, drunk and eliminated without problem (Phew! Pelvic nerves were the only contra-indication). The only problem, so far, has been that she doesn't remember to lift her stump when she sits, so every sit is a double sit!
    As you can probably tell, I'm feeling mightily relieved, and what's more, Tweed has coughed almost continually since she had bronchitis, - and not once since she came home from the vet!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Poor Tweed :( Please give her a gentle cuddle from me :) xx
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC likes this.
    Bless her, I hope she's feeling better today. At least she'll have a few tales to tell about how she lost her tail! Hugs from all of us!
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sorry to hear about your stressful weekend, but it sounds as if it's worked out for the best! Hope she continues to improve and gets used to her new stump!
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Its better having tail removed [hate docking newborn pups] then having to go back every week for antibiotics, she will soon learn to move her little stump before sitting
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    CaroleC likes this.
    Naughty Tweed, glad she is on the mend now tho :)
  8. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    CaroleC likes this.
    cysts are the worst, hope tweed is feeling better. Phoebe has had to have all webbing removed from between her toes as she got cherry cysts in most of them she also has sebaceous cyst on her body. One popped last year and nearly killed me as it was the most disgusting thing ever and i then had to flush the giant hole it left behind every day till it closed :078:
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Bless, hope Tweed is feeling better x
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Wow! Poor Phoebe, you have had a lot of problems haven't you? Yes, this hole was horrible too - not as clean as you would imagine. Vet also had to ferret under the skin for a couple of smaller ones that were nearby, apparently they could have flared up into cellulitis. We've been back again tonight as she's rubbed one stitch out already. :eek: So she's now on Gabapentin too - soon be on more drugs than food! She's fine in herself - just irritated by the op. site.
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Do you think she'd cope with a 'comfy collar or similar, x
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    She was wearing a home made model - foam pipe insulation with notches cut out to shape it, then slipped onto her collar. However, the problem is that she has rubbing her stump on the floor. Tonight, I'm sitting up with her till Chas takes over at 4am, but I think the Gabapentin is working, and she's much less irritated by it. I've also come up with a super tail dressing cover - baby's elasticated cotton mittens, (which I always keep in the first aid box for any foot problems) secured with cohesive bandage.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    What an absolutely brilliant idea Carole - both those things have now gone onto my shopping list to add to my own first aid box [well, it is a joint one for both of us!] - thank you for putting that idea into my head! :)

More gentle cuddles for lovely Tweed! :058:
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    What a good idea with the baby mittens, i always keep a pair for sore paws.
    Hope shes feeling better and learning to leave it alone x
  15. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    baby mittens only wish they would fit her, me and phoebe share socks. she nearly had to have her tail off as a pup because i trapped it in car door. they let it heal and it just has a lump where i broke it. i made my own splint with lolly pop sticks and tape.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    Katy, I think you could write a book about Phoebe's problems. She really has gone through the mill and you have done so well to cope with all of it. Do I take it that your next dog will not be the same breed?
    Tweed is so much better today, she has hardly bothered about it, and even wagged her stump a little. Of course she did have a full nights sleep - which is more than we had! We are doing the same again tonight, no point in taking chances!
    Colourful isn't it?
    Stumpy.JPG
  17. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Just a thought is Eddie staying away from Tweed stump.
  18. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    thats a very nice sock. Yes Carole we have had a lot over the years. Our next dog will not be the same breed but not because of the problems weve had just because we are planning a family and with such a small house we want out next dog to be easier to manage. Phoebes dad had a lot of skin problems and allergies and her mum had joint and ligament problems so in an ideal world Phoebe would never have been born as she wasnt planned, her dad broke through the fence and had his way with her mum.
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @6JRT's Yes, he's being a very good boy indoors and leaving her in peace. She's back on proper walks again, but I'm only letting Eddie off lead, or there would be a lot of rough chasing about!
    She is in disgrace today though - she managed to nibble through the end of the mitten and the dressing whilst we were doing a bit of housework - just caught her before she started on the stump. I'm now putting on a soft muzzle on while we cook etc. She doesn't like it, but it's the safest option.
    @katygeorge In that case she's a very lucky girl to have found you both. I'm sure you'll make a great Mum when it does happen.
  20. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Thanks Carole