Anyone heard of Zylkene? Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Janet, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet

Anyone heard of Zylkene?

Had an email from VetUk this morning with an offer on Zylkene. Never heard of it before. I don't need it - none of them stressed about anything as far as I can see! - but just wondered if anyone had ever used it.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Zylkène is a product which includes a protein in milk, casein. Casein is in many calming products for both dogs and cats.

I do not know whether giving a product a special name like Zylkène would make it any better than any other similar products, but fancy names can, and do, give the manufacturers "licence" to put a higher price on it than on other similar acting products.

[think I have used the word "product" too many times but am too tired to bother finding another word, sorry :oops:]
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes - I have tried it in the days when little Ed was reactive with dogs. It is a non drug mood stabiliser which is derived from milk protein. Did it work? Can't say I noticed any difference, but it does seem to have a dedicated following.
  5. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Rescue remedy can be used for dogs in times of stress I.e fireworks etc.am sure it's a lot cheaper!
  6. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I've never used it myself but I do know Pei owners in the States who have. When Georgie was having panic attacks due to her poor eyesight I used a product made by Nutriscience called Kalm Aid which is Vits. B3, B1, B6, L- tryptophan and L- theanine. I can't say it made much difference so once I'd used it up I went back to giving her Arnica pillules which I find to be much more effective ... and considerably cheaper!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have tried two different natural calming chewable pills for when Pereg is antsy and I am worried that she might be brewing up a seizure. One is good and cheaper but I now only get the one that is far better than just good even though it is a bit more expensive.

The one that is good and cheaper is

http://www.iherb.com/Actipet-Anxiet...&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=actipet&rc=13&sr=null&ic=4

but the one that is far better than good and the one I make sure I always have in stock is

http://www.iherb.com/Rainbow-Light-...bow naturals complete calm&rc=94&sr=null&ic=1
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I am not sure I would want to give a dog casein - it is a milk protein that is difficult to digest for humans, and I wonder whether it is equally difficult for dogs.

A large does of casein might have a calming effect because of this, very much like how lactose can make lactose intolerant patients feel 'sleepy'.
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Thanks for all the replies. Luckily I don't have any dogs that need calming, but it's good to know that there are things to try if the occasion ever arose.

I've had two dogs in the past that got into a state during thunderstorms - wish I'd tried things to help them then.
  10. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    Would you believe that Georgie who would freak out at the slightest sound was, and is, totally bomb proof in a thunderstorm? She's always been perfectly happy to be outside whilst it's thundering and lightening right above her and will only come in when it starts to rain ... 'cos she hates getting wet. Weird dog!
  11. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    CaroleC likes this.
    Had it for phoebe years ago as vet said it would help me "get through to her" when training after she started to be nervy and reactive with dogs. Didnt make a single bit of diffrence. Only times ive found phoebe to be chilled is when on piriton for her skin and then she resembles the walking dead.
  12. Arranlady

Arranlady New Member

Name:
    Aileen
    We had it for our Flint, as he has noise phobias, it didn't do him any good, in fact when he was given it, his mind went elsewhere and we would have accidents in the house, since then he has tried quite a few drugs and none have helped so thankfully his phobias are getting better, just more work to do.