Are apples harmful to dogs? Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Dildonia, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Dildonia

Dildonia New Member

Name:
    Cheryl

Are apples harmful to dogs?

Are apples harmful? I quartered and cored an apple today.. My little guy took the apple slice out of my hand and ate it except for the peel. I was told grapes can be harmful to dogs. What fruits are harmful to dogs?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Apples are ok but not the pips & skin (peel) only give small amounts as can cause upset tummies if they eat too much.
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I usually add apple slices to the selection of cooked veggies Georgie and Gwylim have with their meat or fish. Grapes and raisins, currants and sultanas should never be given to dogs because they are toxic.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I give mine slices of apple, but not the pips - they contain a type of cyanide I believe. I don't know how many they would need to consume to cause a problem - I know my cocker spaniel has consumed apple cores in the past with no ill effects.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    My Griffons used to love apple cores and it never did them any harm - I think a dog would have to eat a great many apple pips before it caused any problems.

Pereg has apples, unpeeled but I do remove the cores, although mainly finely chopped together with the raw vegetables she has with her first "wet" meal. She takes after me, really enjoying fruit and vegetables!

The new leaseholder of the little shop across the road puts "slightly tired" fruit and vegetables in a carton outside, for anyone to take what they want, so for the next few days her food will include finely chopped apples [two different sorts], pears, zucchini, cucumber, kohlrabi, sweet red peppers, celery, and white cabbage!

One lot is in a container in the refrigerator - enough for about three days, and I have three other containers of the mix in the freezer. :)

Actually this morning he had also put out a load of vine tomatoes, both regular and cherry ones and those, plus the tops and leaves of the celery and some of the cabbage, are currently in a crockpot making soup for myself - nothing goes to waste in this household! :D
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.
    I never throw away fruit or veg either - any veg I know I won't be needing for a meal is used to make soup. I've just made some today using the pumpkin my son scooped out for the Halloween ones he made for the charity shop - I also cooked some of it for the dogs. And now I have my Nutribullet, any overripe fruit is thrown in there.

Wish I had a shopkeeper like yours Malka - I'd love some free fruit and veg!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Dildonia - apologies Cheryl for going a wee bit off topic. :052:

@Janet - Avner, the previous leaseholder, used to keep f&v until it was so rotten than it was melting [:078:] and still charge for any that could actually be picked up. OK so not full price but his prices were way OTT to start with, and yes, I did buy the cheaper stuff for Pereg because I could not afford his full prices.

Chai, the new leaseholder - I think his father is a joint one with him but really it is Chai's store now - is so totally different. Apart from the fact that the Moshav had the place totally re-done so it is like new now, Chai himself designed the layout of shelving, freezers, refrigerator sections etc, which makes it so easy for me to manouver around in my chair. And his prices are way down on those Avner charged.

I do not take everything he puts out - just what I know will be good for Pereg or, as this morning, the tomatoes, because they were just too good not to take. Being Friday most people have either already bought fresh for the Sabbath or will be doing so, and really, who else would pick through a box of what is basically thrown out f&v? There is never that much and not every day, so if there is some when I go across to there and I can make good use of it, then I will take it. It will only be wasted otherwise and I just hate waste.
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Apples are fine - and they will usually avoid the pips :)