Are SBT's ever calm? General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by katygeorge, Apr 22, 2014.

1. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's and Azz like this.

Are SBT's ever calm?

I love SBT's but i only ever see them out on walks and when they are in kennels. So every time they have been hyper and slightly nuts. I know this is down to the fact they are on their walk or in kennels but i have no idea what one is like in its normal day to day life. I love them and they are on my list of possible dogs but hubby says no as he says their mental.

So please tell me about your SBT's and what i could expect from a life with one. (not sure if puppy or rescue so would like to hear about both if possible)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Malka likes this.
    Lol Diesels not mental, he has his crazy moments like headbutting his kong and doing his mad act with the tea towel where he nicks it off the cooker handle runs out to the conservatory, chucks it in the air and as it floats down he catches on his head and runs around blindfolded somehow managing to miss the furniture but on the whole I'd say he's a pretty calm dog. He's really well behaved on walks and I wouldn't describe him as hyper at all. He spends most of his time gnawing on his kong or sunbathing out the garden. He's really gentle with the Pugs plays with them a lot but obviously realises he needs to modify his tugging etc with them otherwise they'd be airborne. I'd describe him as a bit of a sweetheart tbh.
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I think out of all the breeds I have met, SBTs love people most - they just adore human company!!

This could be why you see them so excited when in kennels - they want to be with humans not locked up in cages :lol:
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Depend on KC Staffy or man made Staffy but both have them lovely big smiles
  6. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Diesel is a KC staffie and maybe I should add he was brought up with Syd my Dobermann who was quite possibly the calmest, most stable dog on the planet 8)
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    :confused2:....KC or man made .....I'm trying to figure that one out :confused2:
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    KC spec Staffies are around same height as JRT's
    Man made Staffies are bigger more Pitbull size
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Aren't they all a man made breed ....

I wouldn't say standard size staffies are around the same height as a JRT....JRT come in all shapes and sizes, ..
  10. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    I do prefer the bigger staffies. Dont want one the size of a jrt. Not sure ild know what to do with a dog so small after phoebe. Been at work again today and the 2 that are in just get so over excited when i go in there jumping up licking and nipping. But im sure this is just because in kennels. All the dogs are a bit over the top when at the kennels. I think im leaning more towards a rescue as there are just soooooooo many in there. On dogs trust website almost half the dogs were sbts. But im worried about having another problem dog which make me lean towards puppy. But think im going to check out rescue first.
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I assumed Man made meant staffie crosses.
    I've always thought Diesel could do with being a bit taller, although he is to breed standard. It's just he's so solid, literally like a concrete block on legs and if you walk into him you're likely to go over.
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Yes man made is when Staffie is mated with either American bull dog, English Bull Terrier or Pitbull, we get a lot of man made staffies in hardly any pure KC spec Staffies in our rescue home.

KC spec for pure Staffie 13-16 inches
    JRT spec 12-15 inches
    Man made Staffies 20-30 inches
  13. Bluerhinostaff

Bluerhinostaff New Member

Name:
    Jez
    6JRT's likes this.
    Mine is probably too friendly if such a thing. He Likes people more than other dogs or toys =) so yeah very needy but that's why a like SBTs more of a best friend than a dog. He goes everywhere with me! Just need time for them, they don't like to be on there own stress out easy..
  14. Bigsambully

Bigsambully New Member

Name:
    James
    They can be nuts at times but I think that very often they react to you so if your calm they tend to be but if u want to have fun they will respond lol

It depends I've seen mellow types n some real high energy ones ,my Samson used to do bully runs !!!! He could walk for hours n not be tired out but just as happy to laze around

Think if u get right one your oh will be converted my mum who hates dogs only had to spend two weeks with him to be completely converted think they are dog that has human qualities

But yeah in centres they appear nuts when they see people they just want to say hello try walking em on reasonable walk see about it having home visit as after initial excitement they calm

Ha ha you will be greated through the door every time with love n excitement asif you have been away for years lol

But they are great dog no other dog makes a more faithful loyal dog than a staffy
  15. Sue Staffy

Sue Staffy New Member

Name:
    Sue
    6JRT's likes this.
    I have 3 staffies, 2 female and 1 male ages 9, 7 and 2 yrs old. The youngest 2 both rescues. You would never get such a loyal loving dog, they love human contact and children. Yes they can be very over excited but they soon calm down, and if your in kennels you are going to be excited if you see a human and you know your going for a walk and be made a fuss off. Staffies are just great they are so mis understood they make great loving pets.
  16. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    My sisters got a staffy about 9yrs old,great temperament but has recently been suffering fits, no medical reason for this. We're thinking it's because of the heat.has any other staffy owners had this? Is it genetic or something like that?weve been at a loss about it
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If all medical tests have been carried out and no reason found, at that age it is more than likely due to the heat.

I hope he recovers soon with no more problems.
  18. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Thanks
  19. Samm1551

Samm1551 New Member

Name:
    Sam
    We just got our first KC Staff Pup and she is 11 weeks. She has mental moments where she will hoon it round for 30 minutes crashing and banging into everything but then she will go out in the garden find the sunny spot and stretch out and sunbathe for a good hour or two. Now she is allowed out we have been walking her for 15/20 minutes twice a day and tbh she wants to keep going at this stage so I tend to take her to a local enclosure where you can let your dogs off and she goes and plays with other dogs there which allows her some mental time without too many breakages!!! She loves it and there has only been once in two days of finding the place that I have had to put her on the lead and remove her from the area (idiot owner).
  20. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Well my staffie Tonks is almost 7 now and although she is calming down in general, when she gets excited the adrenaline starts buzzing and she just cannot be still. When visitors arrive there's no point them sitting down for at least five minutes. She knows she's not supposed to jump up but she can't actually be still, she may sit for a couple of seconds and then she'll just dash back and forwards, leaping madly in the air now and again until the excitement passes. If visitors were to sit down straight away she'd leap on the sofa behind them and attack their ears...I.e. Nibble and lick them until they turn pink...oh and of course there's the odd staffie head but as well. She's very physical and loves to push, bump against you, and has an annoying habit of shoving her head in shopping bags and hanging there as I'm trying to carry them in. She's almost four stone so it's really really annoying! She's wonderful and we love her to bits...but wish she wasn't quite so excitable!
  21. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    CaroleC likes this.
    Im sure ill get one and just deal with it. One at work at the moment has head butted me and bust my lip, normally wouldnt mind but my brothers getting married saturday and im a bridesmaid, thick lipstick hopefully cover it