Asking for a friend Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by My bear Yoji, Jun 24, 2019.

1. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa

Asking for a friend

My friend has a 5 year old Male Jack Russell, he is a lovely fella.....but, he licks...furniture, windows, table legs & in between licking he barks. When he walks out he will pick up leaves and seems ‘ twitchy ‘
    My main reason for posting is that he has seizures/epileptic fits, my friend who owns him is at a loss how to help him.
    Is there anything she can do to help ?
    The only advice from the vet is to keep him regularly wormed
    Philippa
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris B likes this.
    Do you know if he is on any medication for his seizures?
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Her vet said that until the seizures were more regular he didn’t want to prescribe anything
    Baxster has had them for years, he had one last night and the one before that was about 2 months ago, i would call that too many, but, I’m not a vet !
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    When you say seizures, do you mean Tonic-clonic Grand Mal seizures? There are plenty of videos showing a dog having a GM on YouTube - I cannot give you a link to any because I cannot bear to see a dog having a sz after having watched Pereg have so many - sorry.

Do you know how old Baxter was when he had the first sz and approximately how many he has a year? Also, approximately how long a sz lasts and how long it takes him to get over them?

If he only has a sz every two months or so, then there would not be any point in putting him on medication as once he is on it it is for life. If he has had them less than a month apart it depends on the severity of them as to whether he needs medication or not.

As for the licking, picking up leaves, twitchiness, is that all the time or just occasionally, because that could be a form of Focal Seizures.

https://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/types-of-seizures-their-symptoms#1-2

The above link describes all types of seizures - human and canine epilepsy have the same variations.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I totally agree with Juli. The behaviour she's seeing sounds very much like Focal or absence type seizures to me too. I'm surprised the vet hasn't made the link
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Thanks for the information, I will send her the link and the useful things you have said.