Australian Shepherds in UK General Chat

Discussion in 'Australian Shepherd' started by k_azu, Jan 2, 2013.

1. k_azu

k_azu New Member

Name:
    Kristina Azubalyte

Australian Shepherds in UK

Hi everyone,;-)
    So I am new here and I am new to dog world. A few months ago I have decided that I am (finally!!) ready for a dog. I am interested in two breeds and have already found and contacted few breeders in europe however, I would love to find at least one breeder in UK. This has proved to be very hard though! I have found several Australian shepherd breeders on internet however all of them only provide emails and phone numbers. None of UK breeders (for both breeds that i am interested in) seem to have webpages. I'm curious why is that? It's so easy to find breeders online from any country around europe (and beyond) however, when looking for breeders around here it's virtually impossible. Before anyone asks why I don't just email or call the breeders - I like to look at websites of various kennels. I enjoy doing my own research by looking at their dogs who they breed or owned in the past, their health test results, photos, litters, shows etc. Yes, I could ask the breeder to send me photos through email but I believe that serious breeders go that extra mile and do everything to inform the public of their activities.

So I guess what I am trying to ask here is:
    1. Does anyone know of any UK Australian shepherd breeders?
    2. Why is it so unpopular to have a kennel website in UK? Don't want to sound mean but isn't it sort of backwards?.. It's 21st century and people should use every way to promote their breed/ kennel/ dog lines? :017:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Some of the best breeders in the UK (if not the world) do not have websites.

They do not need them.

Some have websites which are very basic.

They do not need to seek customers, clients seek them out.

Also the sophistication of some websites are in inverse ratio to the achievements of the breeder! ;)

The best place to start for information on any breed is the relevant breed club(s) which for the ASD are:

http://australianshepherdnasa.com/

http://www.ascuk.co.uk/

The ASD is very popular in the UK with some top winning show dogs, Obedience Champions, Working Trials Champion and one Dual Ob/WT Champions.

The Kennel Club has a health test finder where you can look up the results of any ASD provided you know its kennel name.

I know several breeders and handlers of the ASD in the UK, if I can be of any help let me know.
  5. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Hi and welcome to Dogsey.

In my breed it is often the breed club you go to to find good breeders some do have web sites but they don't necessarily advertise litters but the dogs they have are there on the site pictures information their show career etc.,

This way you find out when their fun days are and shows are go along to meet breeders people who own the breed and can give you recommendations and also to meet the dogs in the flesh which is always a good thing.

You will find the people in the breed club have many years exeprience in the breed and are always happy and willing talk about the breed most are happy for you to give them a ring or drop an email asking questions.

Good luck keep us posted.
  6. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    a friend has them and DOES have a website also has a litter now ;
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    i`ve just done 5 mins of searching and found at least 6/7 websites, some in more detail than others,

Contact the breed club and they will put you in touch with breeders .

Good luck

P.S .. Crufts is in March, a good place to go and visit and talk to breeders , both on DD and round the showing rings.
  8. Losos

Losos New Member

Name:
    Harvey
    I would totaly agree, in my opinion the breed club is the first place to start when researching which type of dog to get.

Yes it would be nice if every breeder had a web site but to be honest a web site is nothing more than an advertisement and we all know how misleading some of the advertising media can be (Sorry that's one of my 'hobby horses' :lol:)

As Lynn has said from the breed owners club you'll find events that you might be close enough to go to and while there you'll not only talk to real people but see some examples of the breed which would be the best way to 'get to know' them.

Good luck in your search, and please post again when you've made your decision.