Barking MAD Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by My bear Yoji, May 5, 2018.

1. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa

Barking MAD

Yoji is a male Japanese Akita and is just 16 months old. His traits are typical of the breed and he is doing really well with training/commands
    He used to bark at everyone and everything when he was a lot younger and then he became a lot calmer. I have no idea why and I’m hoping someone can give me hope because he has suddenly gone backward and barks at everyone and everything again, even from such a distance.
    People look at us as if we have a wild beast !
    I understand dogs go through several “ fear “ phases and he has “ guarding “ in his breed duties
    What do you think is he still a “ pumped up male “ teenager ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I really don't know Phillipa. It shouldn't be a testosterone surge as I'm sure I remember you posting that he had been castrated. Although I blame Eddie's dreadful first 18 weeks of life for his guarding nature, I am sketchy about the timings of the later fear periods. To be honest, it is something you never think about unless you have a problem!
    Whenever I have had behavioural problems with a youngster, I take the training back to a stage where I know they were happy and relaxed, and re-proof at that level before moving on again. However, most of my experience has been with biddable breeds, so I will be interested in what advice others have to offer you.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Regardless of the reason he should not be reacting to people out and about unless there is a direct threat.
    Can you think of anything that triggered him off again?
    Is it an aggressive bark, or high im here kind of bark
    Is it prolonged barking or just a couple of woof’s.
    Is he generally an anxious dog?
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Well Vee you have made me think about the type of woof and it’s more of a “ I’m here “ type unless there is a dog in the mix. I do think it’s because he is still quite young ( 16 months ) he’s not doing it all the time which doesn’t help me work out what it is.
    So, we are just going on with our daily routine with this trait at the forefront of our minds.
    He is very “ alert/on guard “ as soon as we leave the house, we often comment that he thinks he owns the village.
    I also think the quietness of the village doesn’t help, we maybe need to take him to more populated areas.
    I’m not worried, it’s just a little annoying!
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Have you tried Yoji in a headcollar?
    I don't use them very often these days, but they do seem to have a calming effect, and give you more control over the noisy end! Used with a double ended lead, and in combination with your usual collar or harness.
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Thanks Carole, I will put it to my hubby and we will put some thought to it !
    Funnily enough since I placed this post all our walks have been quite .....typical !
    Everyone has given me some good ideas if it continues
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    If he barks I would work with a sharp "no" and do a quick about turn and go the other way, when he stops barking, turn around and go back toward what he was barking at repeat if necessary.
  9. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Back to basic training then, I’ll give that a go
    Thanks Vee
  10. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I agree with Vee. When my dog barks randomly (not common), I just tell him to shut up lol. Saying NO is an alternative but it sounds the same to the dog. In any case, it does work a charm if trained into the dog. Nigredo is never barking at anything. It's just nuisance barking if he ever barks.