Basset hound, advice, anyone have one General Chat

Discussion in 'Basset Hound' started by Clair, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR

Basset hound, advice, anyone have one

Hi guys
    Anyone out there own one of these gorgeous doglets:grin:

I am considering adding a new friend to the family for Trinity and Seren and Im considering a basset hound,
    so any tips, advice, and stories from anyone who owns,
    has owned,
    or knows anything about owning one of these fantastic dogs, I'd be more than happy for your input,
    thanx guys:smt038
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2007
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I own a Dachsie but know someone who has Bassets and they are incredibly stubborn, can be rather smelly and not advisable for off lead walks as it's nose down tail up and away!
    Becky
  4. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    I have a friend who has two and agree with Becky about the stubborness - there is no way she can get either of her two to do something they don't want to.

But with her two she does off lead walk them all the time and has had no problems. One she had from a pup, the other from rescue.

They are both really laid back dogs. My two actually went to stay with her when I was away for a week & they were great - Hoki was a bit of a madam trying to assert herself & they were so relaxed about it all.

Before I'd met hers, I had the idea that they wouldn't be that athletic but they have really amazed me with how fast they can move and how agile they can be.

I really love their characters but couldn't have one myself - they have a bit too much of a mind of their own for me :)
  5. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Yep, there is a gorgeous Bassett who lives opposite me and he can't be walked off lead at all as he goes deaf, puts the nose down and legs it!! :lol: I think he's wonderful but the poor chap who walks him seems to have a constant battle on his hands as the dog refuses to co-operate most of the time!
  6. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    No, but I want one:lol: :lol: :lol: I adore them... because they are a dog version of me... except the smelly bit, well I hope not:lol: :lol: Stubborn, headstrong and lovely fat chunky legs:lol: :lol:
  7. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    oh i've got one on my wish list - love the little fellas! its the ears i think!!
  8. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I have a male Basset and until recently a female one, she was unfortunately put to sleep in July. I would NEVER be without a Basset. I absolutely adore them, they have such special characters about them. They are not a dog you can ignore. They really do need to be with you all the time, they follow you everywhere, from room to room and their main pleasure is to be on you wherever you are. They are not happy unless they are sleeping on top of you or have some part of their body resting on you.

They love their walks, but don't be fooled by their body, they are athletic and bred for endurance. Mine will/would happily walk for 2 hours a day. Because their scenting ability is only second to a bloodhound, the most interesting thing for them is every blade of grass so you are never going to go for a quick sprint round the block! I have no problem with mine coming back, they do not run away but if they have a scent of something they do not shift, no amount of calling will help until they have finished.

They are the soppiest things ever and are very affectionate with their owners. Harvey takes a dislike to some male visitors and growls at them. Millie never liked men walking behind me when we were out and would always bark at them but with children they let them do anything to them and never have a problem with visitors who come to our house regularly.

I have found that they are bullet proof, no nervous issues. They are not scared of anything or maybe I have been lucky.

The downside is their slobber, don't ask me how they manage it, but I put something clean on for work and as soon as I get outside I notice slobber on the bottom of my trousers or on my sleeve!. Luckily as they are short the slobber doesn't venture too high on the walls or kitchen cupboards.

If you want an affectionate, greedy, fun, friendly dog but don't mind the slobber or their deafness when they don't want to do something they are definitely the dog for you.

If you are looking for a breeder, I can recommend Balmacara. They have their own website and her dogs are wonderful.

Sorry it was such a long post but I love them!

Sarah
  9. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Sorry forgot to mention .... mine do not smell. The reason some smell is because of their ears. Because they are so long they manage to get in everything so I wash their ears and always clean the inside of their ears with dog ear wipes once a week. They don't smell any worse than any other dog if you keep their ears in check. I will shut up now!

Sarah
  10. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    Thankyou Sarah
    Slobber and stubborness are something I'm already very much used to with my DDB bitch Trinny, shes the worlds largest drool monster:lol:
    I will take a look at the breeders website, thanx again:grin:
  11. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    A Basset would be great with your Dogue. I have found when you mix them with a different breed it seems to up their game when on a walk. Instead of sniffing everything, they keep up with the other dog so it makes for a more normal walk than a long stroll when you have two! Good luck. x
  12. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    How would a Basset be with a big dopey English setter do you think, should I ever be in a position to have a third dog? I just love Basset's, Jamie adores other dogs and I am sure that D will too, but would a Basset take to a setter household? We are quite used to stubborness and headstrong ways and stopping every 5 secs to sniff the grass (Jamie, not me:lol: ) I have a dream of having a 'little' girl Basset (Jenna)......;-) :grin:
  13. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I love English Setters!

I know my two Bassets loved other dogs, big or small. They don't mind what breed as long as they want to say hello and play on their walks. Harvey gets on very well with my mum's Beardie and lives and loves my Golden Retriever. They are very playful dogs and love a good game, although they can be a bit too boisterous for smaller dogs as they are heavy. Harvey's favourite game is play fighting with my Retriever, they do it all day.

They think they are big dogs anyway, so I'm sure they would get on with any larger breed.
  14. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    my boss has 2 basset hounds - cute is an understatement!!! i love their ears!!!

not good info :lol: but just thought id say they are lovely!!
  15. rachel83a

rachel83a New Member

Name:
    rachel
    Hi
    We have 2 Bassetts and it is really interesting reading other comments by other Bassett owners. Our Bassetts have HUGE personalities!!
    They do smell really bad as they are on Natural food hence quite a gassy tummy - yuck!
    Ours are very stubborn and definately classed as a thief as they steal anything that a human can use expecially a mobile phone, tv remote control, shoes etc. If you put your hand into get it you will get a growl, bark then bite (I did have to go to a&e once). I know this is resource guarding issue but I don't think their stubbornness helps this...

I agree they are very energetic - ours love a 3 hour walk/run around! We don't let them off the lead as they do run away. In an enclosed area our reacall is very good though.

Ours love cheese, corned beef and tuna. they have an amazing sense of smell.

we have seen a behaviourist (I call it family therapy!) and their behaviour is getting better (I have also spoken to another Bassett owner in a pet shop and she was buying a muzzle for her one!) so I am not sure if this stealing is a trait in some bassetts? I guess each one is different. Our 2 have totally different personalities from each other. Our oldest always makes sure that you know he is there as he always does large yawns with lots of noise and then looks up at you, the little one yawns but quitely.

Saying all that I wouldn't swap them for the world and dread the fact that they might bite someone else hence I keep a very close eye on the around strangers for their stealing and biting. They are great with kids pulling at their ears and love nothing better than being snuggled up on the sofa or bed getting attention. They follow me from room to room in the house and always need to be near. It is one of the best feelings in the world knowing that no matter how bad your day has been there are 2 big, fat dogs waiting to shower me with affection! When I pull up on the drive way both of them are on the windowsill looking for me and then run to the door to greet me when I get out of the car.

Good luck if you decide to get one. It may just be the way that we have treated ours and they have turned out to be brats!
  16. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Hi Rachel, nice to have another Basset Hound owner on here. Sorry to hear about the biting! I think Harvey chewed one phone when he was a puppy but I think I must of got a couple of angels - neither one of mine have stolen anything. It is quite funny at times, as there may be a biscuit on the coffee table and Harvey will put his nose cms away from it and just stare at it for ages, obviously willing it to slip into his mouth! I must admit I have to give him a bit as he is so patient. He has definitely got more greedy since he has been castrated so maybe it is only a matter of tiime before the biscuits find there own way into his mouth.
  17. rachel83a

rachel83a New Member

Name:
    rachel
    Do you get the whining when he is staring at the food on the table?! We do from the oldest one (the younger one is better behaved!!) It is quite pathetic but very funny. I must admit I eat the chocolate off the biscuit and give him half of the rest.... oops! The oldest also will be lying on the sofa or our giant bean bag and just make some random noises - again they are very very funny!
  18. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I know what you mean. Harvey talks to me all the time. I have had or been brought up with many breeds of dogs but I can honestly say there is nothing quite like a Basset!
  19. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Is it just me......or does anyone else think that Linda Lusardi now resembles a Basset ??
  20. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    :grin: That had me in stitches! :lol:
  21. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But maybe an insult to basset hounds:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: