Bassetts again..... Training Questions Training

Discussion in 'Basset Hound' started by Vesta, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Vesta

Vesta New Member

Name:
    Javek Vesta

Bassetts again..... Training Questions

This is to them of you who no about bassett.

In your knolege do they bark a lot? An can they be traine to sit, down and so on

And one last thing i have other dogs that it will be left with when I go . I have herd they get nervus/barky when left, will it be OK with another dog for companion?

Thank you
    javek
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    They are hounds so yea they bark and there bark can be quite (how shall I put this. . .) wierd, annoying anyway you know this coz you got one. So yea they bark hun:grin: In regards to the sitting etc I think they are just like any other dog, but I'm no expert perhaps someone here has one and can give you advice. Good luck
  4. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    I have never owned a bassett, but I do have a friend who has two.

They bay/sing/howl more than a bark but with my friends dogs they normally only did so when people came to the house etc.

She had two and they could be left no problem, though they were always well excercised beforehand.

As for trainging - well, yes, from what I've seen, you can train them to sit etc, but whether they decide to do it when you ask them is a different matter. They are very strong willed and many people say shouldn't be let off the lead because of this - i.e. they will only come back if they want to.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  5. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Like many scent hounds Bassetts do bark/wail/howl etc etc. Dogs are dogs and can all be trained to various things with varying degrees of success, but scent hounds can be defient....often in a very commical way though!

I owned a fox hound cross who could be very well behaved but could also become completely deaf when an interesting smell was around. He barked A LOT ! But he was a rescued dog and arrived in our home with a ten year barking habbit.

Bassetts may be more likely to bark than some other breeds but if you start as you mean to go on with a puppy and take them to training classes that use positive methods then you should be able to keep this barking to a level that you find ok.
  6. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Hi

I have had Bassets and have one now, I can only say from experience that mine have never excessively barked. Only when someone comes to the door. They are not particularly territorial like some dogs so will not bark at every opportunity. My garden backs onto 5 other properties and they never bark at people when they are in their garden or if they hear another dog. However, they do not like to be left alone for long periods of time, in fact I have found they need human attention more than any other breed I have owned so this could be why they howl or bay if left unattended. Mine have always had someone at home and at the most are left for 3 hours. They definitely like the company of another dog and I wouldn't suggesting owning a Basset unless you have two.

Harvey will sit and wait on command, however will come when ready. He does not run away like some Bassets and I can let him off the lead no problem as I have done with previous Bassets.

If you are intending to own one, I would suggest firm handling - I don't mean being forceful but they really do need to know who is boss - especially the boys. Mine are allowed on the sofa but only when I say they can - not every night etc., they have to have rules and you have to make sure you stick with them otherwise they will take a mile and will want to rule the roost and you get all sorts of behavourial problems later on.

They are extremely loving dogs and so much fun. Harvey makes me laugh all the time. I haven't found them particularly difficult, in fact very easy to live with and be around.

Hope that helps.

Sarah
  7. lilbear

lilbear New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Hi
    I have 2 bassetts & they are both pretty vocal. One will always set the other off. My bitch is the oldest & is quite territorial & very vocal. The males have a tendency to 'bay' which is a cross between a bark & a hwol, which is very loud!.
    they are very social dogs, that love attention & so are not good when left for longer than 4-5hrs. That said, the practicalities of todays living don't go hand-in-hand with the ethos, so I always have a quick play with mine in the garden before I leave for work & always leave a radio on, so they have noise, rather than them focusing on noises from outside, which obviously trigger a reaction.
  8. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    You can train a hound to do anything, and they learn very quickly only problem being when asked to do something they will only oblige if they can see the point in obeying.

Hounds live by the "what's in it for me" rules. Mind you that is why most hound owners love them, for their intelligence and independence.
  9. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I agree entirely with Pita.

I also find it very interesting to hear about other Basset Hound owners and their dogs. I think it just proves every dog is an individual and whilst you can research the breed and have an understanding of their traits, some just don't want to conform. But I think that sums up Bassets - definitely their own dog! You will never find a hound that doesn't have a character all of their own.
  10. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    My turn to agree with you sarah8, I have 4 hounds at the moment everyone typical but everyone different. My hounds are Elkhounds not Bassets btw.