Bernese Mt. Dog breeding- Male with no papers??? Questions

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by Kallen, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Kallen

Kallen New Member

Name:
    Kallen

Bernese Mt. Dog breeding- Male with no papers???

Hello-
    I need some intell. I currently have three Bernese Mountain Dogs. I have a mom, she is 6, a dad, he is 6 and a one daughter, she is 4. I have bred the "mom and dad'" before. I have AKC papers for all of them, all of their puppies- most didn't care about the registration paperwork. Here is my dilemma, I wanted to breed the daughter. I was in search of a male. I found a beautiful, healthy and energetic the "perfect" male, in my opinion. We talked about breeding him with my female. He didn't want a stud fee, he just wanted a puppy- okay. That works. So now after speaking with me more thoroughly, he isn't sure if his male is registered and he has no paperwork on him. I am concerned for many reasons. My main concern is that he could potentially not be registered with the AKC, and I have always registered all of our puppies with them. I know a lot of people in my area constantly stop by or call and ask if we have a litter yet- most don't care about the registration. I am worried though, if I don't register these puppies, people won't want them. I need to opinions- and maybe options- that I go through.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka, 6JRT's and Chris B like this.
    If this dog has no registration papers, I'm willing to bet that he has no health test certificates either. If you are serious about wishing to breed quality stock, why even consider using an unproven, untested, and unregistered dog? How would you know whether you are likely to double up on an undesirable trait?
    It is a definite NO from me.
  4. Kallen

Kallen New Member

Name:
    Kallen
    CaroleC likes this.
    Carole- Thank you so much for your input!
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    I would contact your AKA club for list of registered Bernese Mountain Dog breeders that way you will surely find a healthy male to mate with your female