Bland Diet Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by Candace, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Candace

Candace New Member

Name:
    Candace

Bland Diet

Min Pin is currently on the bland diet following several days of diarrhea. Day 1 she had no bowel movements. Day 2 she had one semi normal poop. Now it's been 24 hours with no results. Is this normal? She is also very gassy and not at her normal activity level. Has anyone had a similar experience?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What exactly do you mean by a bland diet? Have you taken her to the vet and had tests done?
  4. Candace

Candace New Member

Name:
    Candace
    the vet put her on a diet of boiled chicken and rice for 3-5 days
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Diarrhea takes everything out of them and White rice is binding,The problem comes when the dog tries to go and nothing happens If she is not trying then she just doesn't have enough built up in her system yet.

But if your worried give your vet a call.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Boiled chicken [or white fish] and rice is a normal bland diet if a dog has had bad diarrhhoea but the main thing is what caused the squits in the first place. If it was just something bad the dog ate then the sooner it is expelled from the body the better, but do you or your vet know what caused the squits in the first place?

I am no expert but 24 hours with no poo would not worry me too much. Much longer then I would probably be straight back to the vet.

The most important thing though is drinking. Is your little girl drinking and peeing normally? That is more important than whether she poos or not, and as @GsdSlave has just said, white rice is a binder.

I hope she will be OK - please let us know how she is getting on.
  7. Candace

Candace New Member

Name:
    Candace
    Malka likes this.
    Thank you all for your advice. It is very helpful. She has been peeing regularly. So she is staying hydrated, which is a good thing. I talked with the vet and they think everything is ok. This isn't my normal vet. I just moved to a new city so I don't have a vet that is familiar with my little girl. I just had to rely on reviews. She did have a POOP later today! Thank goodness. Y'all are great support, thank you!!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Innocence likes this.
    @Candace - I am glad your little girl is/must be feeling better if she managed a poo! But the main thing is to make sure she did not get dehydrated so as long as she was drinking and peeing then that was good.

When you had first said that your vet had put her on a bland diet I had visions of the brand "prescription" tins of stuff, but the chicken and rice is sensible. Preferably white chicken or white fish, and preferably steamed and not boiled so it keeps the goodness in. But white rice as a binder should be well cooked.

Please post some photos of your little girl. We would love to see them.