Blue Staffs and genetic disorders? Health

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Bluerhinostaff, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Bluerhinostaff

Bluerhinostaff New Member

Name:
    Jez
    Azz likes this.

Blue Staffs and genetic disorders?

Y do I always her about blue staffs have genetic defaults? When mine is fully healthy and past all checks there is in clouding eye test.. So what am I missing???
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. buglysprince

buglysprince New Member

Name:
    Lesley
    I don't know it's not something I have heard of. They are however incredibly beautiful
  4. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    I've not heard of any genetic conditions effecting Blue Staffies specifically. But SBT's as a whole can suffer from genetic health conditions. If you have done your research and bought your dog from a breeder who fully health tests then you have done your best to make sure those conditions don't effect your dog. That's all you can do really.
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I think the problem is many blue staffies are bred for colour alone and the breeders are not always the best in such cases. Therefore genetic issues don't get tested for.
  6. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Blue is a dilute of black, having a dilute from normal parents doesnt normally cause problems but if you breed dilutes to dilutes you risk a proportion of the litter developing CDA, cannine dilution alopecia (skin problems)
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Staffies are usually a healthy breed, but as mentioned above, when breeders are breeding for a specific colour it can lead to in-breeding which can lead to genetic faults.
  8. Heavyweightfather

Heavyweightfather New Member

Name:
    Gav
    I know this is a old thread but I’ve just paid a deposit for a blue staff puppy and the mother and father have had the below testing. Can someone with knowledge help me understand the tests ?

Verified L2hga: DNA-Clear
    Verified HC: DNA-Clear
    Phpv: Unaffected
    Patella: Unaffected
    Dentition:Corr
  9. Heavyweightfather

Name:
    Gav
  10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman New Member

Name:
    Dan
    The problem is a recessive gene which affects pigmentation,hair eyes nails etc which can and do lead to skin problems,the health tests don't cover that,and the problem is that blues don't conform to breed types and that's why they don't do well at shows,it's basically destructive to the gene pool over production of fashionable colours,
  11. Heavyweightfather

Name:
    Gav
    do you know anything about blue staffs with white chest I.e more likely to get skin issues ?

Cheers