Blue's staffords still rare ? Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by leadstaffs, May 24, 2011.

1. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris

Blue's staffords still rare ?

Can they say rare blues any more.
    The latest registration figures for the first quarter of the year are now available.

The registrations have dropped significantly with just a total 1606. A drop of 488 from last year’s figure of 2094.
    From the above total there were 752 blues registered with a percentage total of 47%. We have of course, the usual breeders of this colour appearing to be still quite prolific.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    I certainly dont think blues are rare...All you have to do is look through gumtree and every other litter being sold off is blue!

I think KC reg and standard blue dogs are not very common though.
  4. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    LOL...preloved and Gumtree, home to many a Staffy. However Staffordshire Bull Terrier (with health tests, and bred correctly) Rocking horse and poo spring to mind!
  5. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    The figures I have quoted are only KC registered SBT.

No idea if they are health tested as some are but while the first place to start with looking for a pup is wether they are health tested are not, there is more to a good breeder than health tests.

Some of these litters registered as blue are very large much larger than the usual average for the SBT.

I have stopped breeding my SBT my last litter was 31/2 years ago, have I done the best thing for the breed or have I just left a gap in the market for the money grubbers.
  6. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I must admit (and I am not a staffy fan) But I find the well bred ones breathtakingly beautiful, esp the darker colours/brindles.
  7. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    I see less reds than blues but I darent call my red "rare" lol.

The "rare" term just gives BYBs an opportunity to add a couple of hundred quid on to the price of the puppies I think.

I think blues in the KC arena are declining, possibly because they just dont seem to do as well in the show ring...So perhaps breeders just arent breeding as frequently.
  8. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    What do you call the KC arena.

Blues have never been in much evidence at shows You get the odd one or two make a few appearances.

But according the Breed Record Suppliment 47% of SBT registered with the KC in the first quarter were blue.

Thats 752 blue pups in 3 months
  9. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    Sorry I mean the KC in general....being registered with the KC.
  10. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    But at 47% being registered as blue is not a decline in my view.
  11. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    Sorry it might be me getting confused with your OP - said the numbers were down on last year? Was that total registrations regardless of colour and blue has actually increased in that total?
  12. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Yes total registrations was down for all colours.
    Blue registrations amount to 47% of all registrations in that period so they don't look like they are dropping.
  13. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    Oh now I see - sorry about that! Long day, lol.

47% is actually staggering for one colour (and its not even near Christmas time yet!) I am really surprised to hear that!
  14. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Yes staggering and very worrying
  15. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    What is the percentage of Blue Champions in SBT?
  16. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    0%
    says message too short so I am adding this bit
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    That is what I thought, never seen a blue Ch, but as I don't particularly follow them, I was not sure, never seen one in Dog World or Our Dogs etc, so is that down to insufficient quality or, like some other breeds, colour prejudice amongs breeders/judges etc?
  18. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Blue is a dilute Black Brindle it is a ressesive gene. So it is very rare to get one that has come about down to a breeding that has been done to improve the breed.

To consistently breed blues you have to breed for colour rather than confirmation.
    They tend to have light eyes and will have blue grey noses and pigmentation. A lot look like they have an other breed in them.
    Blues tend to have a higher incidence of auto immune problems.

Ther is one blue dog that came from Black Brindle parents that has 1 CC but they don't show him a lot.
  19. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Is the most used sire last year not a Blue staff???
  20. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Yes in fact I think the most used 1 and 2 with the most used champion coming in 3rd or 4th.
    none of the most used blues have ever seen the inside of a show ring.
  21. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Did i read right that it was the most used sire across all breeds ,or am i making that bit up ..lol