Breathing Videos

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by Susan Troup, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Susan Troup

Susan Troup New Member

Name:
    Sue

Breathing

Can anyone help me, I have a 12 yr old Westie that seems to sometimes struggle, after a sneeze or even just random in his breathing, like he is gasping but makes the most awful sound for 10,15 seconds... some say its hayfever but he doesn't have any other symptoms?? I do have a video but it wont let me upload it : (
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    As always, if you are concerned enough to ask, you need to see a vet.

Rosie occasionally has a sort of snorting/snuffling few seconds. The vet has checked her out and found everything ok and suggested in her case it may be that a bit of sand (we live at the coast) got up her nose while out walking earlier in the day
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sounds to me as if it could be reverse sneezing. Have a look at some examples on YouTube to check whether it is the same thing.
    If so, when it happens, cover his nostrils so he has to take a breath through his mouth. This usually fixes it instantly. Occasionally, you need to encourage them to take a mouth breath, with additional gentle upward pressure over the diaphragm.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Sue - it also sounds to me like a "reverse sneeze" and if it is that then I would not worry.

ILexi, the small dog I had, used to occasionally have a reverse sneezing episode, but it was not very often and only lasted for seconds, but oh how noisy it was at the time.
  6. Hyndman

Hyndman New Member

Name:
    Robert
    Our 15 year old Westie is doing a lot of panting and moving around during the night. Any thoughts?
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Maybe he is a bit hot or in pain so cannot get comfortable. Have you asked his vet about it?
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hyndman, with his age, he may have dementia starting and could be feeling confused at night. It is something to consider when talking to the vet
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, @Chris B my thoughts were dementia, or possibly a heart condition. I would speak to your vet as there are drugs which can help with these geriatric conditions.
  10. Hyndman

Hyndman New Member

Name:
    Robert
    Thanks, yes we've had her at the vet for a chest infection in the last few months. X-ray a few weeks ago as part of follow-up and she was perfect.
  11. Hyndman

Hyndman New Member

Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think we'll take her along again for another check-up.