Breed to go with an akita Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by x-clo-x, May 26, 2012.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

Breed to go with an akita

i told my friends i would post here and get them some more ideas :grin:

at the minute they have an akita. she is 9 months at the minute, and in the next year would like another dog as a companion for her an themselves, they are thinking another akita but are open to other breeds and they want some ideas.

they want a male to go with their female, they dont want two females.

they dont mind large dogs, but wouldnt want a giant dog.

they dont mind moulting etc, obviously with having an akita they are used to it.

they want one with similar energy levels. seeing as their dog now is still only a pup, she is very laid back and chilled out in the house, doesnt needs loads of walks etc. so medium energy levels i would say.

they want a breed that maybe more biddable. their akita is clever but only does things on her terms :lol: for instance she takes a good few calls of her name to get her back, she will just stand and then go "oh if i must" :lol:

they dont mind about not having dogs that cant be let off lead, their akita is mainly kept on lead.

any ideas for them?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Maisiesmum

Maisiesmum New Member

Name:
    Maisie
    I have a friend that had an akita and an Italian spinone. Don't ask me why. They got on great though.

Our neighbours have got an akita and they also had a schnauzer. They recently lost their schnauzer to old age, though.
  4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Is this their first Akita?
    If so, they probably ain't seen nothing yet, with regards to hair and coat blowing.
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I would advise them to wait another year.

An Akita is a slow maturing breed so let them get past 18 months at the very minimum before deciding that they have the extra time and energy for another breed...........
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    Yes it is. I know she hasn't blown her coat fully yet, but thu are prepared for the hair that appears all over the house :lol: :lol:

Yes they are waiting another year or so, their Akita is a year in August. They just wanted some ideas so they can staet looking in more detail at a couple of breeds so they can look into good breeders later down the line.
  7. akitagirl

akitagirl New Member

Name:
    Lucie
    A terrier with some attitude!
  8. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I'd suggest they wait until they know for sure that their current Akita (and bear in mind she's probably not started the worst of the kevin stages yet) will at the very least recall back to them first time, each time they're out and about.

Yes Akitas do do things on their own terms. Yes they can be very stubborn, aloof and a general pain in the bum. But I grew up with Akitas (I'm 38 now) and not one of them would refuse recall. You say this pup comes after she's been called a few times. If they're allowing her to continue with this, then with another dog (whether older or younger is irrelevant) in the house it can be a lot harder to train either of them. Also, dogs learn bad habits just as easily and with far less effort than good manners.

Retriving a ball, getting bored with certain games if not mentally stimulated properly etc is one thing. Not coming back when called can potentially result in a life threatening scenario. I think they should work on training their current dog to a much higher standard given her breed, before even considering getting another dog.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  9. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    and I'd agree wholeheartedly with this!
  10. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    she doesnt refuse recall when they are out on walks.. maybe i should of pointed that out, its in the house, where they have to call her a couple of times and she just looks them, when walking she just runs along to them, if she hesitates they say "bye then" and walk the opposite way and she comes running :lol:
  11. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    Since everyone else has already listed the cons, here are a few breeds id think might suit.

German Shepherd
    I'm not sure what you meant by 'medium' energy levels, but I like Brittany's haha
    a Setter?
    Irish Water Spaniel
    Rottie
    Saluki

that's just sort of, off the top of my head as it were ha
  12. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    Shar-Pei have a quite similar temperament to the Akita, so maybe a male pei? I also know people who have rotties and shibas with their akitas and find them a good match.

But I agree with the people who have said wait. A year on when she has got through her teenage stage and become sexually mature so revealed her full temperament, they may be too knackered for another dog. :lol:
  13. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    thanks for the replies guys.
  14. Koda

Koda New Member

Name:
    Tiff
    We have an Akita and a malamute. Our Akita is 4 in August and our mal is 2 in July ish. So there is 2 years gap.

Our Akita is an absolute star compared to the mal...! He recalls, she doesnt! He's quiet, she isn't! Haha. But they get on like a house on fire and our mal even tho she can be a pain, is very clever and very amusing!but hard work not to be taken on lighty ;-)
  15. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Well this dog went to live with a Akita, and they are brilliant together. He was brought in as a Chi cross Corgi but who knows. He's about Corgi sized maybe a bit bigger, with a shorter back, whilst the Akita was one of the biggest I've seen. I mean they looked strange together, but were great for each other. Not what you might first put as a pair, but there you go..

[​IMG]
  16. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    aww :lol: my friend wants a crested but her OH isnt having any of it :lol: :lol:
  17. maria123

maria123 New Member

Name:
    Nikita's Mum
    I have just rescued a 2yr old Akita 3 weeks ago and what a lovelly nature dog she is and she is good with every dog she meets while out for her walks, i would suggest getting an other one , i wan't to breed from my akita as she is very pretty and she is a light tan and white and got a bit of black in her so i think her pups will be like her, we also have a rottie which Nikita gets on with but our rottie is 9 and don't like playing much as she is getting on but she don't mind nikita cause nikita is not in her face and knows her place with her
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  18. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    you rescued her, but want to breed from her? how does that work?

i wouldnt recommend breeding from her. if she is a rescue, then do you know if she has ever had the right health tests done and they are good results, you know nothing about parentage. she may be pretty but thats not a good enough reason to breed from her.

i suggest you dont breed from her, but if you want another akita then rescue another one that looks pretty.
  19. maria123

maria123 New Member

Name:
    Nikita's Mum
    Hi x-clo-x
    Befor i consider breeding with her i would make sure her health is good with my vet and she has had all her injections which is up to date and so is her worming so she is in good health as far as i am concerned and i might not breed from her any way but if i did then i would make sure she got all the health tests from my vet then i go from there
  20. akitagirl

akitagirl New Member

Name:
    Lucie
    That is a very bad rescue who has let you have an Akita when you plan to breed from her, usually they have a condition in their rehoming contract to ensure an unspeyed dog is speyed so that MORE rescue dogs aren't created :017:

Care to name and shame? :grin:
  21. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    It's not just if the vet says its ok. Certain breeds have certain health test. E.g eyese or heart etc.