Breeder knowledge please Spinone General Chat

Discussion in 'Italian Spinone' started by one.eyed.dog, Jul 20, 2011.

1. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie

Breeder knowledge please Spinone

I met a lady at the Cheshire Show last month who had a cracking Spinoine male dog. I asked which breeder he was from and she said "Laceygunn" She said they did all the health tests for the brain problem, hips, etc.
    Trouble is they are in Aberdeen. I emailed as I think I want one from that line and she recommended a breeder in Nottingham called "Gemarla."
    Do any of you know anything about these breeders? Good or bad.
    I have never bought a dog from a breeder before so am researching like mad.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I will pass your query on to my sister who has owned Spins for many years.
  4. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    Thank you Moobli. (I just read that book on your recommendation too)

This Spin was slim and leggy. Stunning.
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Did you enjoy the book? :) I have sent my sis the link to this thread, so hopefully she will be along to reply to you soon :grin:
  6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    not heard of this breeder, so couldnt comment. But I tell ya what 'afterglow' Italian Spinones (to me) are just everything.
    I know theres litters on the ground at present, and im trying so hard not to contact.....
    But after just losing our dear chap, I feel no other Spin could live up to him.
  7. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    Gemarla have a 3 month old male in Rown which is what I want but, as far as I can tell only the mother is health checked.

I will look on the Afterglow website. Thank you. x

The Laceygunn dog I saw was slim and leggy. not as heavy set looking which was what I liked.

I have looked on the Gemarla site and the dogs are heavy set.

Question. Are Spinone a bit like labradors. They always look a tad overweight to me. Do you need to watch what they eat? I have a GWP who eats like a horse and never puts an ounce on. She was meant to be a Spinone as I have hankered after one for years but, she came up in rescue and needed me and I needed a dog so my Spin was put on hold. It will still depend if Lottie up up for a little brother in the end.
  8. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    I've only ever been around them that are shown (although some still being used for work) I havent seen the leggy, slimmer type in the flesh, but I must say I do prefer the heavier boned ones.

I spose you could say there abit like Labs, in that people often think them to fat - the breed standard (as far as I can rememer, must check) calls for a 'Minimal tuck up'.

weight should be around - bitches: 29-34 kgs & dogs: 34-39 kgs.

I personally would be put right off is only one parent has been tested, no excuses for the other not to have been.

Our Spinone, wasnt a pig for food and only ever started putting weight on when we swapped to the raw diet, it came off well though for his age, but then their an active breed.

Theres just nothing like them, good luck in looking.
  9. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    Moobli. Yes I did enjoy the book thank you.

I will keep looking. I will try and get Luca's kennel name from Laceygunn as he really was a cracker.

What is minimul tuck up?
  10. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I had to look up the breed standard as wouldn't have described them as slim and leggy? Was it a young dog maybe?

I know Claire of Afterglow and do like her spins... and I so would like one but setteralholic... although I know someone getting a pup so might have to kidnap lol!
  11. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    oh I am going to be total crap at trying to explain a tuck up.

But if for example you take a Chinese Crested, their breed standard calls for a 'moderate tuck-up'. as you can see from my girlie, where her rib cage ends, she 'tucks up'?

[​IMG]

an Italian Spinonie, shouldnt tuck up as much, not even close to be fair and would be more like this.

[​IMG]

I hope that makes sense, and you can see what I am getting at.
  12. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    I wouldnt describe them at all as slim and leggy, their quite a heavy breed.
    I love them, I want one .... I need one! :mrgreen: one of the male puppies, has really stole my heart. But it just doesnt feel right. I would defo kidnap if I was you! :001:
  13. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    So. Tuck up on my GWP is deep chest then really up where her tummy is. Lovely figure my girl. Minimum tuck up is basically a straight line from chest to tummy???????
    Have I got that right?
    Luca was young so, I think he may have been going through the leggy stage.
    I will keep looking. TBH I would go to Laceygunn, it's just the distance.
  14. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There are a number of good IS breeders and some IS work extremely well too.

They are not my personal cup of tea I prefer the GWP to the IS.
  15. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    must admit, after seeing so many of them at cheshire show i did fall in love with them a smidge :lol: i think they are gorgeous dogs :grin:
  16. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    In simple terms, yes you have it. Good luck and let us know.
  17. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I do prefer the look of the GWP but, I think Lottie would benefit from her having another dog. Just not another GWP. One of them at a time is enough. I am working on the assumption that a Spinone is a calmer version.
    I think I will always have a GWP rescue as I can cope with one d1ckhead with a preydrive. The 2nd will have to be more sensible.
    Will deffo keep you informed.
    This is assuming that a reputable breeder will actually let me buy one of their dogs. LOL
    I think I will stick with Laceygunn.
  18. 2manydogs

2manydogs New Member

Name:
    bruce
    Spins aren't ment to be slim and leggy .. well that's not how the ITALIANS intended them to be.
    My Spin is an utter delight, lovely to teach, gentle .. not particularly food orientated but adores attention ... His breeder is in now in Devon I think .. can't fault them temperament wise
  19. 2manydogs

2manydogs New Member

Name:
    bruce
    ...... but he does have high prey drive!!!
  20. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    cant fault any spinone tempermant wise to be honest, not a bad bone in any of them.
  21. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    Thank you for all your help. Off to google the Devon Breeder now.