Breeders and communication? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Palindrome, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Palindrome

Palindrome New Member

Name:
    Anna

Breeders and communication?

So after a long wait, the puppy that may be mine was born 2 weeks ago. We all know that breeders are extremely busy people, especially when they have a litter on the ground, so we tend to give them a lot of slack for communication.

My question is, when is lack of communication worrying? Or even enough for you to walk away from a breeder? For example, my breeder tends to only respond to the first email, she doesn’t ever seem to respond to follow up emails unless I send a brand new one (no “re:” in the subject line) and also says she’ll contact with updates... but has very little follow trough so I’m always having to be the one to reach out. I’m not ready to walk away from this breeder yet, I really like her and her dogs, but this communication sucks and I feel like I’m annoying her when I do ask for an update.

So this is just something I’m curious about and I would love people’s thoughts and feedback of when communication becomes an issue.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Run away as fast as you can.

E-mails and computers did not exist when I was a registered breeder, but I always had the time to speak to a prospective buyer on the telephone.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    What kind of questions are you asking?
    Does the breeder show their dogs?
    Are they reputable breeders?
    Have you asked for appointment to visit the breeder?
    What breed is it?
    Have you paid a deposit?
  5. Palindrome

Palindrome New Member

Name:
    Anna
    1. I've asked a lot of questions, I'm not new to the dog world but this is my first time going trough a breeder. I've asked about how many litters a year, health clearances, basically everything I could think of.

2. She does show her dogs, she has a few champions and all her breeding dogs are "proven" in some way.

3. I'm very confident she is reputable. She's older and has only been breeding the one breed for over 40 years, she's really taken an interest of improving the breed.

4. I have actually gone out to visit her! This is where I asked most of my questions! I met her dogs, they seem very nice, trained, and well taken care of. She let me take out a few adult dogs just so I could meet them and also a puppy she had (who was waiting to go home). I also met a past buyer who came in to re-tape the dogs ears.

5. The breed is rough/smooth collie!

6. I haven't paid a deposit.
  6. Palindrome

Palindrome New Member

Name:
    Anna
    I hate to say it, but I feel like I'm close to that point. I'm just very confused of why the lack of communication. I plan on calling tomorrow and if I don't receive a good response I'm probably going to move on.
  7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka, CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    Your breeder seems to have answered a lot of your queries to your satisfaction.

Your pup is only a couple of weeks old so I'm guessing there isn't a lot to up-date on yet.

I'm guessing from your post (and I may be wrong) that your breeder answers a new email and then doesn't answer if you follow up on the same email? Could it be that your breeder, (who sounds like an older lady) isn't too 'up' on the email system so if she sees an email with the same heading she thinks she's already answered it so dismisses it as dealt with?
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I am inclined to agree with @ChrisB's comments. Also, is this in the UK? I ask because during August there have Championship shows in Paignton, Bournmouth, S.Wales, Scotland and Coventry - and this weekend is Richmond! There could well have been a Breed Club show in there too. Add in coat care of the older stock, and a litter on the ground, and it is quite a busy patch.
    It sounds as if you got on quite well with this lady, and you seem to have done all the right checks. I think would be inclined to 'phone her to ask about the progress of the litter, and when you could come to see them. I don't know what the others think, but I never used to let anyone come to view my puppies before they were 4 weeks old, and really preferred them to leave it until 6 weeks.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I never let anyone see my puppies until they were eight weeks old and I had fully interviewded then on the telephone or letter.

And yes, I turned more then one couple away when they turned up. Because they just did not feel right.
  10. Palindrome

Palindrome New Member

Name:
    Anna
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    So! Today I called her! We had a very long talk. At first she seemed a little put off when I asked about the puppies. She said something along the lines of "We give preference to people who visit us beforehand" then it hit me, she had forgotten that I had/thought I was someone else. After I told her "wait, I have visited" and jogged her memory, she flipped. She is happy to give me a puppy and we talked about me visiting when they're 4 weeks old!

I've definitely learned phone calls are a better way to contact and talk to her. I also mentioned how I don't want to be annoying and she said it's completely fine to contact whenever. I'll call instead of emailing now! She even had me add her as a friend on facebook where we had further contact today and she has sent me a good amount of puppy pictures!

I'm really happy of how this turned out, I feel silly for over what was nothing but I've learned how best to have a conversation with her. Which is extremely nice and reconfirming that I made the right choice.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Fab! I love it when the purchase of a puppy is the start of a relationship, not the end of one. I hope you fall in love your puppy when you meet.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Maybe I was a bit strong "interviewing" my prospective buyers, but Griffons were light on the ground and us breeders used to pass on as to had puppies. But in those days it was all done by telephone - no photographs - I only bred reds and some came out rough and some smooth. And when the usual litter was two or three [except for the Z babies :eek: - Griffons do NOT have five pups only Z did, and oh was she small] - I had to be sure that the prospective buyers answered all my questions on the telephone.

And yes, I turned away more than one couple when they came to see the puppies, not to collect one, just to see them, because something just did not feel right about them.

Relationships? The one and only time I went back to England for a visit, just after the Gulf War in 1991, I stayed with three of the families who had one of my puppies, quite a few years before. And those puppies, grown dogs now, all recognised me.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    With the CKCS I only had one or maybe two litters a year, and already knew many of my owners through my pet food selling activities. They usually visited at four weeks, and though I had first pick, they had a chance to see what the litter looked like, and meet the older generations. This gave me the chance to ask a lot of questions, and they left with a good idea of what preparations to make for their new arrival. Unbooked puppies were advertised at six weeks, but they didn't leave till 9 weeks. Follow-ups were usually by phone, and a Christmas card with a baby photo enclosed usually prompted a response from the more distant puppies.
    My last litter was the four little lions, (Löwchen), and I found them really hard to place. Nobody seemed to know what they were, and 'rare’ was not a buzzword in those days. I only had one male booked, - plus the one that I was keeping. One girl went to join another Löwchen that I clipped, but Lace was six months old and had been to a show before she eventually went to keep her brother company. When I see the prices that they fetch now!!! However, the joy of toydogs is that an extra one doesn't make a lot of difference.