Brittany - Are they good pets? Questions

Discussion in 'Brittany' started by DavidC, Jun 13, 2011.

1. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Name:
    David

Brittany - Are they good pets?

It's not the easiest breed to find information on, or even find breeders for. But we are considering a Brittany as a potential pet. Everything I've read suggests they are a good family pet, but forum comments on various places suggest less so.

I have been looking at characteristics and temperament as much as the primary thing, to try to match it to our circumstances. But at the same time we wouldn't want a dog that we do not like the look of. We have been looking into this over the last few weeks, and neither are we in any hurry to get one, I expect it's something we'll try to decide on over the next couple of months, we'd rather make the best choice than rush it. For example, I'm not so keen on the greyhound, despite it seeming quite ideal.

My partner and I have been searching for a suitable pet dog to join our family, looking through many breeds. We have no children yet, but in the future it is likely, we have 2 cats currently. It's a medium size house with a back garden, in a small town.

Although we both work full time, my partner only works 5 minutes walk from home, and I also work from home approximately 1 in 5 days. So my partner is home most lunchtimes for her 1 hour lunch break. So likely we wouldn't be around for 9:00-12 and 1:00-3:30 usually. Except for the days when I work from home obviously, when I'll be around all day. I'm wondering whether that is enough, i.e. not too long a break? If that is too long, is there anything we can do that would make it possible? If not, would a dog walker be enough to make the difference?

We are a young active couple who are up early and exercise regularly, taking a walk ourselves after dinner most nights. Walking a dog once in the morning and once in the evening would be what we intend, above obviously spending plenty of other time with him. One thing I feel we have worked out, although maybe obvious to someone experienced, is that a puppy is not the way to go for us.

Thanks,
    David
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Hello David

I like Brittany's and we genuinely looked into the breed before we got our current Labrador, some 8+ years ago. I can't say I've met loads of them as they are fairly uncommon, but like the majority of HPRs they are very active and strong willed. Perhaps not the breed I would start with if I had never owned a dog, but I suppose if you have done your research...

The one thing I will say is that you will seriously struggle to find an adult in rescue. Because there are not many of them around, you might get the odd one or two come up, but I can't imagine it would be a regular thing.

If you like the characteristics of gundog type breeds, there are obviously breeds that may match your needs well that come up in rescue far more. Labs being one, Spaniels being another.
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I work full time and have since a few years into getting my first HPR.

I have lived in a flat with two HPRS with a tiny unenclosed garden.

I am now on my 5th and 6th dog; 4 of these have been HPRs.

We are all attracted to breeds initially by their looks and then hopefully we research them to determine if they will fit in or not.

EG I adore the looks of several breeds, but I would never own them due to the inadvisability of letting them off a lead. I could personally never own a dog that I could not let off the lead so I remove those dogs from my portfolio of choices.

On paper I am the last person on earth who should have HPRs (if you believe half the stuff that is written about certain breeds).

In practice I am an excellent owner, the dogs have a great home and they have been successful in their chosen fields and some of them (not all) have been superb ambassadors for the breed.

What you need to know is what a Brittany was bred for, how it is likely to behave, why some end up in rescue; the best way to do this is to speak to experienced owners of MULTIPLE examples of the relevant breed.

It is amazing how many owners of ONE dog of ONE breed are instant experts! :roll:

You do get "atypical" specimens of any breed. Eg GSD that never bark, HPRS that never hunt but that is NOT how they were designed!

you need to be realistic about what you DO want and what you DONT want in a dog.

If you want a dog that hangs on your every word and has a nigh on 100% recall in all circumstances and will never chase anything then you might struggle with a Brit.

If you like dogs with lots of initiative, which are very energetic and can put in the time and training to ensure that it is adequately mentally and physically challenged then it may very well be the one for you.
  5. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Name:
    David
    Thanks for those replies so far, they are very helpful.

I've been invited to a Brittany training day later this month, in which there should be many owners I can speak to. :)
  6. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    I'm also really interested in Brittanys and have looked into the breed quite a bit, I have only met one Brittany though and unfortunately she was dog aggressive and grumpy with people, and a lot smaller and more petite than I was expecting (compared to how they look in pictures).
    I would say though if a Greyhound suits you personality/temperament wise, then prehaps a Brittany might not, as to me they are completely different ends of the scale? :?

Are you wanting a specific breed or have you tried going to a 'general' rescue to see if any of the dogs there suit you?
  7. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Name:
    David
    I feel that it's already hard enough trying to find one based on semi-reliable information I read on breeds, let alone trying to find a match from a general-rescue centre. I feel that by finding a breed rather than a random rescue, I'm increasing our chances of finding a dog that will be suitable for us and vice versa. Then we will approach the appropriate 'rescue' for that breed.
  8. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Just wanted to say well done for thinking this all over so carefully. Shame more people don't :)

If you're going to meet some of this breed and the owners, that's a fab start and they are sure to give you lots of helpful info!

Are there any other breeds you are keen on?

I'm sure you're already aware that *some* rescue dogs will arrive with various issues, so it can involve a bit of work at times :) I have a rescue Lab and have learned more about dogs in the past year since meeting him, than I did in 12 years of owning a Rough Collie!

Do let us know how you get on meeting the dogs :)
  9. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Name:
    David
    We're just trying to increase our odds of a good match and happy result for us and dog. :grin:

There are plenty of other dogs we're keen on, here's the epic thread asking for help. lol
    Link >Help finding the right breed for us, please help.<

David
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Why not get in touch with the people who know the breed best.

http://www.brittanyclub.co.uk/

They will give you an honest answer to your suitability.
  11. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    The Brittany Club Of Great Britain says:

The Brittany is primarily a hunting dog with character, stamina, speed, and great courage.

The Brittany is a force to be reckoned with, having the urge to hunt fixed into it's temperament.

The Brittany loves to be loved - but it also loves to work. They need an occupation or will readily turn into a hooligan. Almost any occupation will be taken to easily - not just shooting!

Maybe it's just my take on it but doesn't that sound like a dog that would need more than an hour's exercise a day....?

If I'm wrong I'll be happy to be corrected :)
  12. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    From what i've seen of Brittany's (I train with a couple for starters) they are extremely hard hunters and cover ground at a considerable speed. They are strong willed and i've heard them be called "self employed" many times and out of the HPR group, are probably one of the most troublesome (i.e they arent as biddable as, say, a GSP or Vizsla).

One of the ones I train with is very highly strung, she literally shakes with expectation to be let off the lead to work. However, her owner has done an exceptional job with her and the control he has over his dog is brilliant (although she still will ignore some commands and go into hunting mode instead of retrieving).

It's definately a breed that needs lots of free running, lots of exercise (I dont think a walk round the local park would suffice) and a job to do. They are no couch potatoes and are quick to take advantage of a situation.

Personally, I would never suggest a Brittany to a novice dog owner or a dog owner that wasnt well versed in the characteristics of HPR's (or the training of them).

They may be small, unassuming dogs but are huge in character and determination.
  13. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Brittany's are on my list for a later date, and i have met several, however the only way i would have one is from a pup, and in your other thread you don't believe that you would be suitable for a puppy, the reason for this is all the ones i have met are hard headed, prey driven working dogs, that need to have their brain worked, that will go self employed if these needs aren't met, as well as being classic naff off artists, if not kept on top of from an early age, they are a relatively rare breed that have no working or show split, so the hunting characteristics are bred in
  14. ste

ste New Member

Name:
    Steph
    [​IMG]
    This is Jed my 2 yr old Brittany x, altho he's not a full brittany , he looks brittany, has a brittany coat, and what seems to be a fairly typical personality, yes he is a lunatic, and boy can he run:grin: , but the energy can be easily channeled into other things, playing and training for eg.All if the Brittanies I've met have been extremely affectionate and loving, love to be with their people, and don't like to be alone for long periods of time. Very intelligent dogs a easy to train
    This surprised me, the ones I've met have have been anything but:grin:
    But I do agree that they are very excitable, and hightly strung, and therefore if not well socialized, can be nervey.
    I don't have tooo many problems with Jed chasing things (and I live in an area with a lot of wildlife) and his recall is good (I was sure he got his obedience from the Brittany side and not the Setter side of him:lol: )
    Not a dog for the city however!