Cabbage rejuvelac recipe Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Azz, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's and CaroleC like this.

Cabbage rejuvelac recipe

Cabbage rejuvelac is very easy to make, and is a probiotic drink.

All you need is an organic white or red cabbage, natural water, and if you like a little sea salt.
    • Cut the cabbage into qtrs and place inside a blender or chopper/food processor.
    • Chop the cabbage but not too much
    • Add water while still in the processor
    • Optional: add a pinch or up to half a tea spoon of sea salt
    • Put in a preserving jar and in the kitchen somewhere for 3 days
    After the 3 days are up, sieve and put the water/juice into a glass jar and dispose of the pulp. Store in fridge.

Drink some of this yourself before meals, and same for your dog - perhaps mix with food or see if they drink it neat (I'd be interested to know if any of your dogs do actually).

If you are worried about fermenting, then you could add the sea salt - but I've found without has given me the most benefit.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Don't forget peg for nose if giving some to dogs.
    K9 does get smelly if he as cabbage
    :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Not having heard of Cabbage rejuvelac I did the usual google to read about it and what it does. I would definitely try it but (a) I do not have a preserving jar, and (b) nowhere in my kitchen to put it.

Pity, because it does look interesting...:(
  5. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    I do t have a blender. Can you just chop it small?
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    According to this website http://www.livingfoodslifestyle.co.nz/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1034
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Haha good point Tina! Good thing is fermenting cabbage breaks down most of the difficult to digest parts of it - so hopefully there should not be any smelly farts :D

Anywhere at room temp should be fine Malka :) and any glass bottle or jar with a top should be fine (if it's a screw top lid just keep it a little loose with a plastic bag over the top).

Chopping up is fine, but as in Malka's post - squeeze the cabbage a bit in your hands to get some of the juice out :)
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Azz, if you saw how tiny my kitchen is - and how little work surface I have to use [no windowsills either], you would understand that it is not just a jar that is needed - it is somewhere to put it! :lol:
  9. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Azz that sounds really horrid :eek:
    I would rather eat wet socks :D
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    But it is good for you Meg - well Azz says so and so do all the websites that rave about it, so it must be! ;)
  11. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    @Meg - in that case you might as well drink it - I expect they both taste the same :081:

@Malka - where there's a will there's a way.. so they say! :D
  12. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    In 1928 when Dad was first diagnosed with type one diabetes he was taken into hospital in Derby and to cleanse his system he had to live on cabbage water and nothing else for a week :eek: He was sooo hungry and weighed 8stone at the end of the week.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Was that just water that cabbage had been boiled to death in?
  14. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    That's interesting - did it do any good? Wonder why they choose cabbage choice (it has recognised properties against ulcers, but not diabetes as far as I know).
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I eat loads of white cabbage but it is raw, not cooked.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz, what have you started?
    I don't have a blender either, so will have to chop small. My kitchen is beginning to look like a lab. However, St. Edward likes raw and cooked cabbage so I'm going to give it a try.
    What I want to know is why do you have to discard the pulp - could it not be fed as well, or go into Eddie's stewed veggie pan like the kefir grains?
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not see why it could not go in with his other vegetables. I give Pereg chopped raw white cabbage [usually chop up the outer leaves for her] - no waste here! ;)
  18. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Azz likes this.
    I am not sure if Dad ate the cabbage as well Malka :) I know he drank the water.
    Azz :) I don't think Dad was given cabbage water as a treatment. As I understand it they needed to get the blood sugar down to a manageable level before starting the insulin injections which was a very new treatment at that time.
    There would have been almost no calories in the cabbage water but more goodness than plain water and it would have been cheap and readily available.
    Poor Dad was starving though and so desperate he paid a man in the next bed for the fat he had left on the side of his plate.

Dad was 21 then and lived to the age of 89 so I guess you could say the cabbage water 'did some good'.