Calling all Dally owners...advice please. Questions

Discussion in 'Dalmatian' started by teenytiny, Jan 26, 2007.

1. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*

Calling all Dally owners...advice please.

Over the last few months I have taken a huge eye opener to Dallys :grin:

I would really love to get one one day. I've been researching the breed for a lil while, but knowing there are a few dally owners on Dogsey, how would you sum up the breed.

Just after personal opinions really....things like amount of excercise needed, training needed, general things like this. I really need to find out if the breed would fit my lifestyle before I venture out into looking for one.

I am home during the day so excercising wouldn't be a problem...not with Georgie anyway...that boy can run for miles :roll:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Dalmonda

Dalmonda New Member

Name:
    z
    Dalmatians are a lovely breed and i love them to pieces but they arent for everyone, although as you have done some research you know the basics anyhoo:lol: :lol:

They need at least 2 hours off lead exercise aday and can't really be left alone for long periods as lack of stimulation makes them very hyper!!!!!
    They need constant training and classes are a must, they tend to be keen learners but will turn a deaf ear on a regualer basis if you dont have 100% control.
    I like to call them "stomachs on legs" they will eat EVERYTHING. Rubbish in parks is a personnal "gggrrr" as a Dal WILL eat it.( just ask lottie)

I would suggest you visit the british dalmatian club website and forum you will recieve alot of info. Why not foster for a while? see if the breed is really for you.

Am more than happy to help you with any queries

Dogseys members Lottie and Deccy are very breed experienced!
  4. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    Hi teenytiny,

Dals are very intelligent dogs. Many people think they need tons of exercise (one reason people can't understand me having two when I'm disabled!) but these dogs would love loads of exercise but don't require it.
    I can take the dogs out and they run themselves ragged without the need for me to do anything.
    I only take my two out for two half hour walks a day and a short walk at bedtime to do their business.
    Then a couple of times a week week they get a really good long run.

I've found this is best for my two because they can both go forever and used to go for at least an hour at a time but because they run so much (particularly Takara) I had trouble keeping weight on them.

What dals get out of their walks is their chance to constantly think and learn about things so I can get around them not having too much of a walk by their training and brain games we play at home.

They need a diet low in purines as they can suffer from bladder stones and their main worry is skin conditions although neither of mine suffer with any.

They are very bouncy and do need constant training to acheive an easy to live with pet. Many people end up rehoming their dals because they don't realise what they're taking on :(

Dalmatians were bred to guard horses from horse thieves who often came in twos or more so the dogs are very alert and nothing gets past them (although Eddy has proved this is not so with all dals).
    Males can have issues with other male dogs but as a rule they're not bad.

They are very territorial, can get jealous but not usually aggressive and are very loyal.

Takara won't settle while anyone she doesn't know is in the house, and if she does it takes a long time for her to come around to the idea.

They don't need much grooming and it's best not to bath them too often due to their sensitive skin but I still groom mine regularly just for the bond.

They do have an incredibly strong will and can be very difficult! They respond well to firm but fair postive reinforcement.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask me anything you want to know!
  5. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    hehe Jay is right - they are stomachs on legs and given the opportunity will steal anything! I have to pull both of mine off of food in the park and they won't take no for an answer they've been taught 'leave it' (well Takara has) and still go back to it but they know they're doing wrong because they're damn quick!

Takara's been known to steal our dinner off our plates in the past but she's so quick you don't have time to respond!!
  6. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    please bear in mind, mine get only half an hour twice a day but one is 12 years old and the younger one also does agility and ringcraft and goes to town with me on a regular basis. As well as taking them both for a couple of long walks a week and traininga lot in the house!

Sorry just wanted to make it clear
  7. Deccy

Deccy New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Hmmm ... not a great deal to add to that!
    I have had them for 10 years and wouldn't be without them! Bitches tend to be more intelligent but devious, if they are told not to do something they will find another way to do it - for ever if necessary. They are demanding, bouncy, fast on their feet and great clowns. They love "their" people and like to be with you wherever you are, or they pine and get destructive. My circumstances changed radically 2 years ago and I now have to go out to work all day, but they go to a marvellous place where there are 40 acres, totally safe, and run with the "house dogs" and regular kennel dogs all day. When they are tired, they let themselves into their huge, heated kennel!
    I currently have 2 males, you can have problems between males but I have a friend with 3 all entire, and they get along fine. Often, it's the bitches - noticeably mothers and daughters - who have the serious fights.:shock:
    Training is very important. The less enlightened trainers think they are stupid, but far from it. You just need to put more effort it to persuade them that it's a good idea. One that I bred is shaking up the agility world these days, another is doing competition obedience, they are dogs that like to be active and have their minds stimulated.
    They were originally used to protect carriage passengers from Highwaymen by running alongside the coaches - they have a great protective instinct towards people - and running ahead to make sure the road was clear. In the US they were used to clear the roads ahead of horse drawn fire tenders back in the old days. That is why many posters based in the States picture them in a fire brigade setting! Every fire house in the States still has a Dalmatian in residence, and at 9/11 many of them lost their carers and had to be re-homed.:-(
    You become obsessive about them - but you need to be, because of the tremendous demands on your time and patience. If you are reading and it's time for walkies - don't expect a sorrowful face gazing at you, brace yourself for some serious prodding, pawing and licking!!!:grin:
    The BDC website has a lot of good information on it as already mentioned, and the information is reliable which is more than can be said for some other Dally specific sites.
    PM me or carry on posting if you have any questions ..... and good luck.
    PS Be very careful where you buy one from........ like all breeds, there are good, bad and appalling.;-)
  8. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*
    Many thanks for such informative replies. My mind cannot be convinced otherwise, I think I have made my mind up that I want a dally.

Dalmonda, many thanks for your pm, I am already looking into the whats, whys, hows and wheres of fostering short term. This will let me experience the breed for myself before taking the plunge of getting my own.

Can I just ask what you guys feed your dalamtians on?
  9. Dalmonda

Dalmonda New Member

Name:
    z
    Burns - expensive but has a low purine level and is a generally fab food!

Anything with 20% or below protein level should be fine ...chappie is a cheaper alternative reccommended to me by Lottie but I stuck with Burns.

Many breeders reccommend Beta Puppy but after the first year I wouldnt reccommend using it. I have found that the junior/adult versions put alot of weight onto my dogs and much of the ingredients aren't digestible so they go to the toilet alot!!!
  10. Deccy

Deccy New Member

Name:
    n/a
    I agree Beta can be a disaster after the puppy stage, brought mine out in dally rash, they now have James Wellbeloved or Burns depending on what I can get, although Deccy won a big bag of Arden Grange which seems to suit him. I stick to hypo allergenic, "pure" complete foods.
    I also feed Chappie as Deccy won't eat the kibble unless there is MEAT in it!!!:roll:
  11. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    Takara was on Purina Beta, and got Dally rash, she has been on all sorts and we've settled with Burns for both dogs - definitely the best for my two!

James Wellebeloved was good because of being hypoallergic but was a little bit too high in protein for mine.
    It's not just the health side of protein you have to look at, but what makes them happy! My two were regularly bouncing off the walls when on a higher protein level, they're now both a lot more settled and happy.

I definitely agree with all of Deccy's points!
    Not only do I find that the bitches are more intelligent (and so more difficult ;) ) but I also find them more protective - Takara won't let me out of her sight when out but Eddy doesn't give a damn!

However the bitch fights are bad... Takara has fallen out with SweetVeronica's Tara for life and there's no way I'd be able to go and stay there with the dogs again for the rest of the time Tara's there, they had one scrape and that was that, they just don't get on, it's the only time I've known Takara not to back down.
  12. Deccy

Deccy New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Just make sure you do loads of homework... we're here to help all we can ..... I'm sure Lottie won't mind me saying that she is relatively new to Dallies but has not only done a huge amount of research into the breed, but just as important after acquiring the first one has continued to ask, question and work very hard to make it the success it is. I wish more aspiring owners were the same, it would save a lot of heartache.
    I am still learning after 35 years yearning to be an owner then 10 years in blissful (well you only remember the good bits!:roll: ) ownership.
    Don't ever think a question appears stupid, we've all been there!;-)
  13. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    Aw thankyou!

Yes, Teenytiny, Deccy is right! I've not had much practical experience and despite having read about them for 7 years before getting one, the practical experience just cannot be beat! I can also agree about questions appearing stupid! I've asked some right daft questions but they've put my mind at rest and dally owners are sooo helpful! We're all dotty about the breed so will quite happily talk about them! lol
  14. janine87

janine87 New Member

Name:
    Janine
    Hi,
    Well i have only ever own my one Dal lila but she has been an dream - i wouldnt change her for the world!!.

I do however live on a farm and she comes out everyday for 2-3hour trail rides with the horses so she gets alot of exercise but she is so good in the house, does sometimes play fight with the others which is abit annoying but most of the time she is very quite - no more wild than the others.

She does have a huge appitite - she could eat for england so thats one thing i think you have to watch with them but lucky with her doing some much exercise it doesnt matter.

She is such a loyal dog , everywhere i go she follows and waits for me - she is very intelligent and learns good/bad things very quick lol - like when its too cold to come out and help me do the night horse feeds she knows if she can make a runner back to the house before the doors are shut lol!!!.

But on the whole she is a wicked dog , maybe i am lucky as some people say their dals are crazy ( a lady down the road is always screaming about her dal) but ive found lila very easy and willing to learn!

Janine
  15. hameldal

hameldal New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Hiya
    One thing i have learnt is no matter how daft, energetic, lovable, strong, cheeky amounst other things! our babies are no-one can ever see their real personality untill you meet them :)
    You best bet is to contact your local rep or pop down to a champ show and go meet as many as you can !!!
    Once you have seen a few you will soon discover if you think they are for you and your preferances . When you find some you like the personality and looks of ask around for breeders who have pups planned and see if you can meet mum and dad.
    Every dal is different and it is better to try find out as much before those georgeous spotty bundles are infront of you and the cuteness takes over ;-)
    Jules xxx
  16. 4George

4George New Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Hi all,

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but when we first thought we would like a Dalmatian as our dog, the local Dalmatian society (think it was the rescue organisation) organised for a guy who had two Dalmatians to bring them both round and let them loose in the house. We got a good idea of the breed, size and also got to ask lots of questions.

We then went on to get George and enjoy every minute as he is always making us laugh.
  17. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    Hi 4George! I'm glad you love your dalmatian, they're a wonderful breed! What a good idea to have one roam around your house before committing to a dog!!!
  18. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    We soooo should have done that too...

*Goes around collecting objects wiped off the coffee table by enthusiastic waggy tails and collects the dalmatian that is stuck behind the television*
  19. annspot80

annspot80 New Member

Name:
    ann
    hello everyone. Im getting a dally puppy on the 8th november - dougal ! I have done non-stop reading etc and have everything i can think of, including all the cute toys lol. Feel free to give any advice and stories about your own dogs. Thought i'd better ask now, because when i get him, i probably wont get time to go on the computer without having cute eyes looking up at me lol.
  20. Clarita

Clarita New Member

Name:
    Clarita
    Hello everyone, Soon to be a Dally owner, in just less than 2 weeks of a puppy called Sebastian. Have found all the information here to be very useful so many thanks!!

Look forward to talking to you all soon.

Warmest wishes, hugs from sunny Devon ,Clarita :)