Can a pit bull cross be rehomed in the UK? Questions

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by ATD, Dec 19, 2007.

1. ATD

ATD New Member

Name:
    Anne-Theresa

Can a pit bull cross be rehomed in the UK?

can a pit bul cross be rehomed? i have come across an abused one and really need advise asap i dont want to ring the rspca/police because i think they wil pts straight away.
    Thanks
    ATD
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tinkladyv

tinkladyv New Member

Name:
    Gem
    How do you know it is a pitbull cross?
    Gem :)
  4. ATD

ATD New Member

Name:
    Anne-Theresa
    just what some one has said
  5. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    If it is in fact a pitbull cross, it can be rehomed, but has to be registered and muzzled in public, can you get a picture of it??
  6. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Yes but do to that you need to go to court as the register of exempted dogs is closed -they will only add a dog onto it if the owners are prosicuted and go to court to prove the dog is not dangerous towards people etc...
  7. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Depends if someone is willing to take it on really and prepare for the worst if they get caught.
  8. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    if its a cross and no-one can actually prove its a pit can it just not be responsibly rehomed as a cross? If it isnt a danger etc then how is that different to a stray with no history ??

does it look v. like a pitbull - what is the cross ?
  9. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    It all comes down to that damn word type,the trouble is Dani,any pitbull type including crosses fall under the DDA/BSL.:-(

It is up to the owner to prove it's not type which can be very difficult.
  10. ATD

ATD New Member

Name:
    Anne-Theresa
    Thanks everyone the problem is i cant take it as i have other dogs/cats and know one i know is willing to take it, if i contact the RSPCA etc they will PTS but if i leave her there she is being beaten :( better of 2 evils???
    ATD xxx
  11. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    The RSPCA/Police have no powers to destroy any dog under the DDA unless the current owner gives permission to do so.
    The Police/RSPCA would have to go to court to get a destruction order,then this can be appealed against as was seen in merseyside.This only applies to dogs seized under the DDA.

If it was me and I was sure that the owner was responsible then I would just take my chances.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2007
  12. ATD

ATD New Member

Name:
    Anne-Theresa
    if the dog is handed over to the RSPCA they can destroy the animal with no permission as they own the dog
  13. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    ....and leaving it in a home where it is being abused is somehow better ?

You cannot advertise it for rehoming and as you say it could be PTS, not definitely, as the RSPCA have an obligation to assess every dog.

If you took the dog to them as your own, you are still handing it over, and as you cannot keep it yourself, I don't see any other option.

It might sound harsh, but I would say that Rainbow Bridge is a nicer place than its current home !
  14. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    I said in my post that it only applied to dogs seized under the DDA.
    So if the dog was handed over they could very well PTS.
  15. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    What is she like with other dogs/people/kids/cats etc, things a new owner might want to know?
  16. ATD

ATD New Member

Name:
    Anne-Theresa
    PTS sleep might be the kindest option as i dont know what she is like as she is so scared etc
    as for assessing every animal they went into a multi household of cats and put most of them down why because they had no room. were are the RSPCA meant to put any seized dogs they do not have a shelter etc

i will pass the number on of the RSPCA hopefully the guy will get prosecuted either for haveing an "illegal" breed (normally i would hate this term but if it gets they guy prosecuted) or for abusing an animal

thanks for your replys :)
    ATD
  17. tinkladyv

tinkladyv New Member

Name:
    Gem
    Have you thought about other rescues than the RSPCA?
    I know if i had the choice i wouldnt go with the RSPCA as i find myself disagreeing with them far to much.
    Might be another option?!
    Its a sad situation :-(
  18. ATD

ATD New Member

Name:
    Anne-Theresa
    the dogs trust n the other dogs homes dont want 2 know so i dont know where 2 turn?!
  19. tinkladyv

tinkladyv New Member

Name:
    Gem
    There are two i trust that being the East Midlands dog rescue and Many Tears Rescue, there are so many out there, maybe others know of some?
  20. Dogstar

Dogstar New Member

Name:
    Sam
    Hi

As Sal has said the register for exempted dogs is closed and if the dog thought to be "type" and seized it will spend many months in kennels and the owner will have to go to court

if the court allows the dog to be added to the register it must be spayed , tattooed, mircochipped and muzzled in public

best places to go for advice ( as I am not an expert ) are

The Bull Breed Advisory Service

http://www.bullbreedadvisoryservice.com/thedangerousdogsact.htm

Hope that helps

Sam
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  21. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    This is really sad, I hope there is a happy ending one way or another for this poor dog :-(