Can Reversible Birth Control for Dogs Be a Reality? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Can Reversible Birth Control for Dogs Be a Reality?

Another thought-provoking article that I thought might be of interest and possibly worth discussing.

Article here...

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedaily...mail&utm_content=103114blog&utm_campaign=Blog

What do you think?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. dogdays

dogdays New Member

Name:
    Tom
    Wow! I would have liked that option when
    I spayed my girl. I've always regretted having it done, as my boys never were.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @dogdays - Tom, way back when I used to breed Griffons I never had a bitch spayed as I never kept a dog, only using a stud when I wanted to breed.

And luckily I never had a problem with non-spayed girls.

But - both my angel Little One and then my Pereg were spayed. Both after their first season so maybe 9 months old? Both rescue mutts of no known origin. And I had them both spayed as soon as my vet agreed to do so.

Little One never had any problems with loss of bladder control as some spayed bitches sometimes do. Pereg? She is coming up to 6 years old and when she loses bladder control it is not because she is spayed. It just happens when she has a seizure as she is epi.

And I do not regret having either of them spayed.
  5. dogdays

dogdays New Member

Name:
    Tom
    I only regret having it done because she has inherited traits that should have been continued to another generation.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not sure whether I understand you, but if your girl had genetic problems that could have been passed to puppies had you bred from her, then I think you did the correct thing having her spayed.

If, however, you mean that the traits were something special that should have been passed on, I do not know what to say.

If it is the latter, you would never have had any guarantee that her puppies would have inherited those traits.

Hindsight does not help much though, does it. :(
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Having read the pros & cons im not so sure (Quote The implants were not designed to be removed, and they do become more porous and prone to breakage with time, as deslorelin diffuses out, but they do not dissolve. Thus, with careful placement, removal is possible, plus they can migrate. http://www.stlzoo.org/animals/scien...o/contraceptionmethods/suprelorin-deslorelin/

According to the manufacturer, a single 4.7 mg implant is effective for 6 months, while the 9.4 mg implant will last for 12 months.ntain).

One downside to the deslorelin acetate implant is that it initially acts as a stimulant to the reproductive system. "females treated with deslorelin should be considered fertile for three weeks following insertion.

Males may remain fertile for 2 or more months, until residual sperm either degenerate or are passed (as following vasectomy)."

While this may be feasible with regards to pet dogs, it could be significant when considering using the implant in feral populations that are more difficult to manage and monitor.
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I am glad I had all my dogs done both males & bitches it was the best thing I did,

I am looking after a young 9 month old female puppy at the moment & even though all my males have been done they are still taking an more then friendly interest in her because she has come into season, she was booked in to be spayed on Friday which her owners have now at to cancel, the reason I have her at my house is because her owners have 3 intact males at home, they are KC Breeders but the little bitch they brought from another breeder as MVD, so are having her spayed to stop her from passing on the genetic defect.

{MVD - Mitral Valve Disease}
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    If - and it is a big IF because it did not happen, if I could have had Pereg spayed before her first and only season, and if Ram would have agreed to it, it would have been done.

None of my little Griffons were ever messy during their seasons, and neither was my Little One - but Pereg was. Very messy.

Her first [and thankfully her last] season started during the night, on my bed, when I had pale apple green linen on it?

There was no way I could keep her off my bed so I gave up and put maroon and black sheets on and just put up with it until it was over and she had stopped bleeding. And she was the first bitch I had ever had that bled so much. But it happens.

I know, it sounds disgusting but there was nothing else I could do. But at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that both Little One and Pereg did not produce any more unwanted puppies.
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Its already a reality and has been used for a good while now, there ate two forms of

Is this a CKC, sadly if it has been diagnosed so early (thought they could not be diagnosed till over 1) the out look for this pup is not good regardless of having it spayed .

Regarding the topic, this has been around for a long time now, there are two types of chemical castration supralorin and tardac, the latter only lasting for weeks as the other is a 6mth jab. a lot of people use this if they have different sex households and don`t want their dogs castrated, I have heard the tardac can have some side effects i.e aggression but I don`t know to much about it, it is also used for prostate problems .

11. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    @Jackie not sure what CKC is

But I do know that MVD - Mitral Valve Disease is a common condition in Cavaliers & are prone to developing MVD at an early age, It starts with a heart murmur that becomes increasingly worse until the dog has heart failure.
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Cavalier King Charles