Carolina Dogs Discussions

Discussion in 'Carolina Dog' started by philbee100, Apr 7, 2014.

1. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    CaroleC and Azz like this.

Carolina Dogs

hi. i have been very interested in a very ancient breed known as the Carolina Dog. the first members of this type of dog were found living wild in the swamps and forests of south carolina. although there are still some living wild, many have been kept as pets. has anyone here heard of them? recent DNA testing links them to the Australian Dingo. scientists researching these animals believe they may very well be the last living remnants of the dogs that followed ancient humans when they first came to north america. here is a very good website which describes in detail the research that has been done on these dogs.

http://cdrcp.org/

i myself have never seen a living Carolina Dog, although i have seen many photos online. i would love to know more about them.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    philbee100 likes this.
    No, I wasn't aware of them.

That is an excellent website, very interesting. I think they are beautiful dogs - I can certainly see a resemblance to the Dingo.

Thanks for telling us about them!
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    They look lovely Phil, check out this video :049:

Perhaps you could get in touch with the CDRCP and ask them to pop over and tell us more about the breed :D
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Very interesting site. I had never heard of them before, but they are a very attractive breed.
  6. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    Azz likes this.
    carolina dogs have a whole bunch of unusual behaviors that are not always found in other breeds. they will stick their nose in dirt and make these little "pits" in the ground, so far i don't think they know why they do this. also i believe they come into season less often than domestic breeds. i also understand they travel in packs in the wild, and hunt and feed on small mammals like rabbits. more info can be found about them online. the website i posted is the best i have seen. they seem to be similar to other wild canids, such as the New Guinea Singing Dog. these animals fall somewhere in between domestic dogs and fully wild, such as african hunting dogs.
  7. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    they also raise their puppies in deep dens, and i am not sure but i think they raise them communally.
  8. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    Azz likes this.
    i just sent CDRCP a request for someone to possibly post more info about them than i have.
  9. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    http://www.arba.org/carolina_dog.htm
    here is the url for ARBA's info about them. ARBA is the "American Rare Breed Association. apparently there is a "standard" for the Carolina Dog that i did not know about.
  10. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi @philbee100 and @Rachel Nagher - I have split the posts from this thread into several separate threads into the new Carolina Dog Forum :) and have also added the profile to the main Breedia site - so we can start adding some photos ;)
  11. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    Thanks, I have never heard of this breed until now...they are very beautiful :007: