Cataracts Health

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by Susan Jones, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Susan Jones

Susan Jones New Member

Name:
    Midges Mum

Cataracts

Hello everyone, I’m hoping to get some advice, my shitzu, Midge, will be 12 in January he’s in good health but can’t see very well as he has cataracts on both eyes. Has anyone had their dogs cataracts removed? I want to do the best for him, he’s been a delight, still playful and still enjoying his walks.
    He is a wimp, however, I had to take him to have a grass seed removed from his ear this summer and the vet had to anaesthetise him in the end, despite 2 of us holding him, he is a nightmare when it comes to treatment and shakes like a jelly every time we visit the vets. Any advice, pros and cons would be appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    What has your vet advised? An opthalmic vet should be able to tell you roughly how much residual vision your dog is likely to have, and whether your dog is likely to be a good candidate for eye surgery from a general health and a management point of view.
    My male Beagle Eddie has had two eye operations this year, though not for cataract. The first was to remove a nodule that was irritating his eyeball. This was followed by a corneal graft to repair a non-healing ulcer which formed after the operation. Both operations were worthwhile in that they removed the cause of the pain and discomfort, but they did involve long periods of having to watch him, to stop him trying to rub his eyes, and lengthy periods of applying eye drops several times a day. Fortunately he doesn't object to eye drops, in fact I think he appreciates the comfort that they give him.
    Current Covid conditions meant that his aftercare was largely monitored using weekly photographs and emails - I appreciated the support that was available, but really would have preferred the reassurance of actual check-ups. However, this looks like being the chosen method for the foreseeable future.
    I have lived with a blind dog. My first Golden Retriever had PRA and became almost totally blind. She was able to adapt as her sight diminished gradually, she followed our other dogs, and as long as the furniture stayed in more or less the same place, she coped really well.
    See, www.vetinfo.com/canine-cataract-removal.html and
    www.thelabradorsite.com/cataract-surgery-for-dogs
    Best wishes, whatever you decide.
  4. Homeuser

Homeuser New Member

Name:
    AL
    I was going to do this for my 15 yr old Shih-Tzu, but didn't wasn't to put her under anesthesia. It took her 3 days to get over it . I didn't care about the money (price). I wanted her to have a good Quality of life . But honestly , she remembered where everything was and she never had any problems (they just do).

Attached Files:

5. Susan Jones

Susan Jones New Member

Name:
    Midges Mum
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi Carole,
    Thanks for your reply, I think I’m not going to do anything yet following the advice I’ve received, he’s perfectly happy at the moment and can see a little, the only problem he has is getting down steps, I have 3 steps going down into the garden but I can get around that by taking him through the garage and he no longer sleeps upstairs with me but seems quite happy on the settee downstairs by himself. He doesn’t really cope well at the vets and has a very low pain threshold, he gets scared and starts crying before they even touch him! I was quite excited when I found out there was a vet nearby that could do cataracts, I asked my own vet about it, but she seemed doubtful, if he starts to struggle or becomes unhappy I’ll look into it for him, I love him so much, but it’s no life or death situation, that would be different, it’s good to know that they cope well even if they do go blind, I’m hoping that won’t happen.

thanks again, Sue
  6. Susan Jones

Susan Jones New Member

Name:
    Midges Mum
    Hi thanks for your reply, I should think a her age it wouldn’t be a good idea to put her through an anaesthetic , it’s good to know that they can reach that age, I’m hoping my little fellow will be with me a few more years yet. Can’t bear the thought of losing him!
    It’s good to know that they cope, Midge is such a happy, funny little thing, but not at all brave when it comes to having any treatment, so As long as he’s happy I’m going to leave him be.

thanks again, Sue