chicken bone Health

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by katie134, Sep 20, 2016.

1. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie

chicken bone

Just out walking blue and his ate a cooked chicken bone , think he did break it in half but I couldn't get it out of his mouth . I'm very worried as I heard this can be really dangerous ived feed him a slice of bread to cushion it but is there anything else I can do , what happens if it doesn't pass . Thanks .
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Katie,
    Was this a drumstick bone, or a wing bone?
    The bone will pass but the danger is that sharp edges could do damage as they go through. The stronger the bone, the sharper it is likely to be. If it has already passed safely into his stomach you are already over the first danger, choking, and there is strong acid in there which should start to break the bone down.
    Keep your eye on him, and if you see signs that he is starting to vomit - especially if there is any blood in it - get in touch with the vet tonight. If you see blood in his poop tomorrow, or he passes black sticky poop, see a vet. If he is struggling to pass anything at all, see a vet.
    This sounds very scary, but do try not to worry. Hundreds of dogs must get access to chicken bones every day, and very few of them end up at an emergency vet. Stray dogs are picking these things up all the time - and coping with them. Do let us know how he is tomorrow. I'll be thinking of Blue tonight.
  4. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    hi carole, yeah I think it was a drumstick about 3 inches long and he did crunch it when I was trying to get it out of his mouth . I will check his stools in the morning and hopefully everything will be fine , yes I will let you know how it goes , thank you so much .
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Any news Katie?
    I hope everything is OK.
  6. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Hey carole I'm really worried woke up this morning his poo was really black , anyways I just brought him for his walk there's blood on his poo , I'm not sure what to do really worried.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Definitely, see the vet as soon as possible.
    Keep in touch.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Vet straight away. The longer you leave it, the more complications there may be. Let the professionals do their work, it's what they are there for
  9. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    okay thank you so much for your help I'm gonna call them now , fingers cross .
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
  11. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    hi I rang the vets and they were closing for the day , they said to leave it till the morning and check his poo last last . There was blood in his poo last night but not as much , this morning his poo seems fine but his vomited they said he might of had a reaction and his belly might be sick from it but I'm not sure . His alert and still being very playful . I'm just panicking I'm gonna let him rest today and keep a close eye on him . poor thing it's his birthday tomorrow aswell here be a year , I'm just hoping it is a sick belly and nothing more . since he eat it ived been giving him bread to cushion it apparently that will help so I'm praying . Thank you so much for all your help I will keep you updated .
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Does your vet not have a 24 hour emergency service? Telling you to leave it till the morning when a dog is passing blood in his poo would concern me. I do hope that Blue is OK.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Id give him boiled rice with some meat for a few days, and Probiotics like goats milk yogurt
  14. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Just waiting for my mum to come home , so she can help his just been toilet again and there's still a tiny bit of blood but his been vomiting all morning , I think we're gonna get him to the vets when she gets home .
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Katie, can you take a sample of his poo to the vet?
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Katie, please go to the vet today. I know that finance and transport is a problem for you, but Blue really does need to be seen by a vet today.
    Good luck, I'm thinking of you both.
  17. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    hi I went to the vet , horrible night very stressed blue started to vomit blood we found a vet , I'm very sad it was horrible to see blood coming up and my little brother had to see it and both me and him crying our eyes out . The vet checked him and said there's nothing stuck in his throat , but his belly is very sore and his very nauseous , they have given him lots of different medicines and we have to go back in the morning to have him rechecked and have an xray if his still the same. They said his belly might be scratched inside but there not sure of it being lodged and they couldn't do the xray tonight because his had food , they said they need to do it on an empty stomach . His not himself he dint wanna be around any of us , his very unhappy . I'm still so worried , don't think I will sleep tonight worrying about him . I'm just praying with the medicine everything with be better in the morning , I just don't know how his bleeding but the vet said that can happen . I feel scared that his at home and how weird he is acting but they said I have to wait till the morning .
  18. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    his leg is also twitching and his shaking , meby it's the medicine . I'm beside myself his my life and I couldn't let anything happen to him .
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    A sad birthday for Blue. I'm glad you managed to get there, and I hope they can help him in the morning.
    I'm sure that you must feel dreadful tonight, it's not easy watching our pets being ill.
  20. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Yeah I'm just praying everything will work out , his very out of it I just put him to bed , his acting so strange . you never really think how much damage chicken bones can do , I'll be so angry if I see people just throw chicken bones on the floor now lol . hopefully in the morning he will feel a lot more like himself , his such a soppy dog aswell his like a big baby , but his had 3 injections and a paste thing to settle his stomach , but the vet said we might be lucky and it will work out otherwise it's surgery .
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Fingers crossed for you both. Keep in touch.