Chocolate coloured cavalier Questions

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by Deborahjane, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Deborahjane

Deborahjane New Member

Name:
    Deborah

Chocolate coloured cavalier

I am looking for a chocolate coloured cavalier...not to breed from. It will be neutered and given all the health checcks that my 2 other cavs have been given. I love the colour and have wanted 1 for ages. Where do i start looking for 1!!!!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Hi Deborah, I have a ruby and a black and tan. My previous was a blenheim, and the other colour is a tri coloured.

Do you mean black & tan ?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  4. chelsea

chelsea New Member

Name:
    Jean
    I have seen a liver and white cavalier once on a web site i did email the lady who had them there not the right colour tho for a cavalier but i must say i did like the colour
  5. Deborahjane

Deborahjane New Member

Name:
    Deborah
    wow..thats a different colour altogether!!!. I have seen pics of choc cavs...ohhhh so lovely. I already have tri and black and tan girls. I want all the colours...but with all the wrong colours aswell i could keep going for years!!! hehe.
    Dont think hubby would be pleased tho!
  6. Deborahjane

Deborahjane New Member

Name:
    Deborah
    Hi trixybird. I have a black and tan The colour Im really looking for is all chocolate colour. Ive seen pix but never a live 1...they are gorgeous.
  7. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    There addictive that's for sure, such lovely natures. Mine have done agility and love swimming, they are full of action, and keep me on my toes :grin:
  8. chelsea

chelsea New Member

Name:
    Jean
    Hi i have never seen a chocolate one do you have a picture of one you can put on here would love to see it
  9. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    I'm surprised at someone who loves Cavaliers wants a non standard colour, as all responsible breeders breed to the breed standard-including the colourings-& also do all the health tests. If a breeder is deliberately breeding a non standard colour then they are in it for the money & I very much doubt they will have done all the health tests & I believe they will probably have done none at all to maximise profits.

I presume you have seen a Chocolate coloured Cavalier in the flesh & not just a photograph
  10. Deborahjane

Deborahjane New Member

Name:
    Deborah
    I've never seen a chocolate cav...just pix of them. I dont want to breed from him or her...just a pet. They are beautiful dogs. I have 2 a tri and a black and tan and I love them.:)
  11. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Think what Joedee was meaning is that if you buy one of these from the type of breeder who is only breeding for money you are,
    A/ encouraging the breeding of pup by puppy farmers who are unethical and are unlikely to care about the health of the puppy or the breeding stock.

and

B/ you will have to run the risk that the pup you get will suffer for his colour and you may have a dogs life time of pain and regret.

Buy a nice well bred puppy of the correct colour or at least from a well bred litter a pup that just happens to be an unacceptable colour. If you have only seen them in photos I think it may be the photo that is brown not the pup.
  12. trudge1978

trudge1978 New Member

Name:
    trudi
    a chocolate coloured cavaliers are you sure you don't mean a ruby
    i have a ruby boy of 5 years

[​IMG]
  13. Deborahjane

Deborahjane New Member

Name:
    Deborah
    The pictures I have seen of are a rich chocolate colour. Its a wrong?? gene that makes them go this colour. I might be wrong though.
  14. Deborahjane

Deborahjane New Member

Name:
    Deborah
    you have a beautiful ruby cav there.:)
  15. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    i have seen a pic of a chocolate colour cavalier I have to say it looked quite odd, and was certainly a breeding error ....
  16. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie New Member

Name:
    Michelle
    I have seen a picture of a chocolate cavalier too. I think they are a rare throw back in the gene pool. I thought the picture I saw was a very cute, cavalier markings were instead of black and tan it was chocolate and cream.
    I will always stick with the colours I know with my cavaliers its the breed I want.The colour not important to me but health is.
  17. rubylover

rubylover New Member

Name:
    rubylover
    This is a link to a webpage by Cochran's Cavaliers. She had a dam that was linebred to that carried the recessive "b" gene that, when inherited once from each parent and paired at that "B" locus, causes the black skin leathers and black pigment in the coat to become chocolate or brown. This is the same gene at work that creates the chocolate lab from what would otherwise be a black lab.

http://cochrancav.com/chocolate

I find the photo of Cochran's Snickers (7th down) particularly attractive. :grin: I find the chocolate less attractive when paired with the ruby or blenheim coats.
  18. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    It is in the eye of the beholder I find the 7th down particularly unattractive, teamed with white is not so horrid but with the darker colour is makes the animal appear deformed.
  19. rubylover

rubylover New Member

Name:
    rubylover
    You talk about "the darker color" but the brown actually lightens the black in the usual black/tan cavalier. What am I misunderstanding?
  20. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I have seen a couple of the chocolate tans....I prefer that to the others I think.....but I quite like dobies that colour (or collies for that matter :lol:) - there is also one or two Gordon setters (I have met one) that colour.
  21. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    We saw a chocolate Cocker on our walks the other day. Apparently she was the only one in her litter and not deliberately bred that way but I dunno.

She was lovely looking though!