Chomping Shih Tzu Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by sapphiretf, Feb 19, 2019.

1. sapphiretf

sapphiretf New Member

Name:
    Brenda Quinn

Chomping Shih Tzu

I have a three year old Shih Tzu, who has an annoying habit of smacking her lips together, especially at night in bed. We have had her examined by our vet, but nothing has been found wrong with her.
    We have added water to her kibbles, tried ignoring her, fed her at different times, but nothing seems to stop this. Can anyone advice me on how to make this problem cease please ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Oh my goodness, I bet that sound really loud at night, especially if you are struggling to get back to sleep.
    I’m assuming from how you mentioned it she is in your room with you ? ?
  4. sapphiretf

sapphiretf New Member

Name:
    Brenda Quinn

Yes, unfortunately, she does sleep with us in our bed, and it is very loud, as it is so quiet in our room. We are going berserk !!!
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I may be on the wrong track, but could this be a sucking noise - a dormant memory of suckling their mother? Several of my dogs have done this, and actually I find it rather sweet that they are able to relive this memory for so long.
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Interesting theory
    I think I’d be working on the lovely pooch sleeping elsewhere !
    It wouldn’t work for me, I’m not very nice when I have sleep deprivation
  7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    ChokDee likes this.
    Rosie does it occasionally, but, fortunately, she prefers sleeping in the living room these days. She used to sleep up on my bed, but I'm a restless sleeper and she ain't daft :)
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    ChokDee likes this.
    Tikva sleeps in her crate at night, in my bedroom, and once she is curled up she zonked out. She loves her crate with her cuddle cushions, and Bless her, she does not make a sound until it is eep up time.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I had forgotten about this thread and the OP never came back, but as Carole said...
    None of my dogs have every done that, but Kat [short for Kattypuss] always suckled on on my forearm either when she came in or when I came home if I had been out. But very quietly.

However, Tikva, who was bottle-reared did suck one of my fingers at times until she was fully weaned.

I wonder if the OP ever found out why her Shih Tzu was making those lip-smacking noises.