ckcs and exercise General Chat

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by kirsty_, Mar 15, 2009.

1. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty

ckcs and exercise

would an adult ckcs be able to cope with a lot of exercise such as running alongside a bike?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Gizmoli626

Gizmoli626 New Member

Name:
    Sharky
    My Japanese Chin/Papillon used to run alongside our electric bike at 30km/h ... obviously not for long periods of time at that speed. I don't think it would harm them, but everyone says different things about exercise for animals. If they don't show any obvious signs of distress or discomfort then i don't think its a huge problem.
  4. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    thanks that's what i thought but i know there's breeds that wouldn't be able to cope with a lot of exercise. obviously i would build up the speed/distance gradually
  5. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    It depends on the dog really. They might be able to but I'm not sure if they would want to go long distances or long periods of time.

Some i have know can keep up with much bigger dogs, whereas some have been far more sensitive and only managed shortish walks...........but maybe it depends what they are used to.
  6. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    yes, i see some running around like they could run around all day and others just toddling along. i think it must be what they are used to and how much exercise they normally get
  7. Gizmoli626

Gizmoli626 New Member

Name:
    Sharky
    Yeah that is true, i mean you can get some larger dogs that don't like going for long walks!!
    Gizmo has been to the beach today for 3-4 hours with me, my mother and her dogs (dobermann x, munsterlander x and Jack Russell - who is old and keeps up) and gizmo chases the 2 big dogs around all the time. Usually on the way back he starts to slow down a bit though until he gets to short grass and does his crazy dance hehe. He has been lying asleep next to me since but if i got up to go out again or got his toy out he would be straight up to play haha
  8. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Yes there do seem to be certain types as well, either larger boned and confident dogs or very skinny lighter framed dogs who seems to be far more nervous.
  9. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    aww bless sounds like he has no trouble keeping up then, size doesn't matter!! :lol:
  10. Petstalk

Petstalk New Member

Ckcs love exercisem going for long walks ect, but don't feel would be suitable for running along side a bike for long lengths of time.
    They are suited to short birst x x
    Also re CKCS probs MVD probs it is important not to overstress there hearts re exercise.

D x x
  11. Gizmoli626

Gizmoli626 New Member

Name:
    Sharky
    Oh he's little in body but huge in heart and mind!! You should see him trying to play with weinmaraners and Great danes and all those big dogs ... they usually run away from him!!!! He is so funny :lol:
    He will play with anything that moves ... even chased the lizard on the beach today ... poor lizard!
    He just has such a funny personality!
    I thought he wouldn't like to walk too much as he has legs that come in at the knees (the opposite of Jackie Chan haha) but it doesn't bother him or stop him at all!!
    Oh just talking about him makes me want to eat him up, he's definitely my baby and he is such a mammys boy!:lol:
  12. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie New Member

Name:
    Michelle
    My two go for very long walks and love every minute of it. They have more energy than you think. Cavaliers will do as much as you want them too. They are a very loving family dog. Would not be without my two cutiepies.
  13. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    thank you that's good to know, i think a cavalier will be my next dog. i think there great little dogs :)