CKCS and the outdoor life? Questions

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by Sez & Amber, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Sez & Amber

Sez & Amber New Member

Name:
    Sez

CKCS and the outdoor life?

Sorry, I probably should have tagged this onto my current thread, but I thought I might get more relevant info by starting a new thread :grin:

We're very much a "pet home" and 'Ella (whippet x staffie) has the best we can give her, so by my title, I'm not meaning that I would plan to keep a CKCS outside, or have it working in fields all day every day :lol: . 'Ella is very much a "rough and tumble" kind of dog, who loves to be off-lead (and whose recall is now excellent, after much training with long lines!), so most of her exercise is on the beach, in the woods and at up at the field. The woods and the field are obviously very muddy right now, and 'Ella loves it and comes home covered. We rarely do "urban" walks around town, although if we got a puppy rather than an older dog, regardless of breed, "Puppy" would have shorter walks, both with and without 'Ella while the pup was growing and learning.

How would a CKCS cope with mud and muck? I realise that it would require more grooming than we currently do, as El has a very fine, short coat, but would a lap dog breed cope with that sort of terrain? My concern is that puddles and mud that 'Ella bounces through, a smaller breed might end up sinking to it's neck :shock: The average length of walks is usually between thirty minutes (twice a day) or if I take the dog to the field with me to see the horses, I can be out for an hour and a half, but probably only half of that time is "active movement" - a lot of it is sniffing around the floor after mice! Weekend walks are usually around 2 hours. Just to clarify, I am thinking about whether an adult CKCS would cope - it would not be my intention to subject a pup to such a level of exercise!

From what I have read (which admittedly at this point is very little), CKCS will have "as little or as much exercise as is provided" and would be quite happy with ten minutes a few times a day, so would I be expecting too much? We're planning to buy 'Ella a new coat this year, as her fur is so short and fine, so would a coat be recommended for a CKCS over the winter months as well?

As you can tell, I still have loads of research to do before we decide whether the breed is right for us :mrgreen: so please be prepared for many stupid questions in the months to come!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    They love it, well my two do anyway. The more they get the more they want. I can take my two up the river and be gone for 3 hours, or I can take them for a run along the beach for 30 minutes.

Regarding coats, never used them before they just have their puppia harness and I throw them in the machine after a muddy walk ( the harness :lol: ) the boys prefer the dishwasher :lol: :lol: :lol:

I groom them every day, Archie is done within minutes as he has a fine lightweight coat. Harvey has a heavy long coat and is prone to knotting so knots behind the ears are common!!

My two also swim in the river so the stench has to be showered off on return!:lol:

I do urban walks every day -normally in the evening with oh, but they love to go off lead and sniff out all the rabbits.

Time given to CKCS and training and they will repay you ten fold ;-)

Just pm me, and i will talk all day and night, about cavaliers :lol:

So in short Mud and Muck - yes please!
  4. ananab00

ananab00 New Member

Name:
    Laura
    i would agree with Trixybird, Otis mades a line for mud and muck at any opportunity! Loves getting muddy and getting wrapped in a towel in the car on the way home!

Trixybird, how often would you recommend baths for puppies? The weather in recent weeks means we have been walking in mud a lot, and Otis gets dirty very quickly. We have puppy shampoo, but I'm conscious of not washing him too often. Is once a week too often? He really stinks this week, but he had a bath last week!
  5. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Hi Laura a quick rince off in the shower (without shampoo) dry off and then use a coat conditioning spray/oil :grin:

Quite often they dry off and a good brush gets all the dirt out - I do not over bathe mine :blush:
  6. Sez & Amber

Sez & Amber New Member

Name:
    Sez
    I was having visions of dogs in the washing machine, Tracy! :lol:

It's great to hear that CKCS can be mucky devils, too :grin: My only real experience of them is as either old ladies dogs, or what my OH deems "Gucci Poochies", i.e. toy dogs dressed in pink jumpers with "princess" written on them and carried around in handbags :lol: So I may underestimate what they can cope with!

Regarding grooming, are there any particular products that are CKCS owner "must-haves"? Ella has a soft bristle brush and a bottle of shampoo, but she only really gets brushed when she's moulting and she gets bathed when she is really horribly filthy! Normally, she goes and wipes her paws all over her bed, and the rest of the mud just dries and falls off (our Hoover is very busy!).
    That's a thought - are they a breed that moults a lot? I just bought a Hoover Freespace Pets cleaner, which is excellent with the short dog hair and rabbit fluff (we have two French Lops, who are probably as big if not bigger than a CKCS) so I daresay it would manage with whatever a Cavalier could throw at it! :lol:
  7. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Grooming box - I have collected a few useful tools along the way.

Mars Coat King - used on Harvey as he has a heavy coat and this is great for removing loose hair on heavy mature under coat.

Blunt ended scissors - last resort to snip into matted hair
    Soft brush
    Slicker brush - brilliant for removing dirt from the coat.
    De-Matting Comb, or a furminator -
    Combs etc
    Files
    Nail clippers

Yes again Harvey can deposit hair just about everywhere, not so much of a problem with Archie though.

Not pampered pooches, not carried in my bags and not used as ornaments :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rough tough active agile boys ;-)

Unless they are on the sofa having a tickle and a cuddle x
  8. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Not going to give any specific advice as i have never owned a cav, but we have cavs that come on our dog training walks and love the long walks.

I really wanted to say how great it is to see someone doing research well before they get the dog!

Good luck with your research!
  9. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    you mean not doglets LOL
  10. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    I think the problem arises from the breed being described as lap dogs. Although this is true they love nothing better than to snuggle on your lap, and many older people seem to choose the cavalier.

They will surprise you with their capabilities, and are not shy of anything :grin:

Not doglets :lol: :lol: :lol:
  11. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    ooo are you planning on getting a CKCS?? cant wait to see pics! :D
  12. Sez & Amber

Sez & Amber New Member

Name:
    Sez
    We're talking about it, but at this stage it is purely talk :grin:
    I'm still not desperately convinced, though :blush: They are gorgeous, but I'm very much a woman in love with lurchers, whippets and GSDs! I was convinced that we would get a malamute as our next dog, but realistically, we're not the right home for a mal at the moment.

So, we'll see! My OH is quite keen on a CKCS, and I will admit that I do think they're gorgeous :grin: I just need to make sure that it's the right decision for everyone involved.
  13. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
  14. Lu

Lu New Member

Name:
    Lu
    Hi!
    I just replied, rather long windedly, in your other thread. My girls can be perfect prisses when the need arises but at home they are little wild ones. They love to run in circles in the backyard eventually tackling each other and rolling around. They love to get dirty! They adore their walks.
    As for grooming, we use shapoo with conditioner to help fight against dry skin. The list above is a pretty good one as to what you need. Don't let the coat overwhelm you. They are pretty wash and wear as opposed to some breeds. Mine are combed everyday and that helps cut down on mats.
    Lu