ckcs - do coats need clipping? Grooming

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by kirsty_, Jul 6, 2008.

1. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty

ckcs - do coats need clipping?

do cavvies require there coat to be clipped?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Gina&Jaz

Gina&Jaz New Member

Name:
    Gina
    No no no no no!
    :lol:
    One of the best things about a Cavalier is their coat, apart from brushing it and trimming the hair on the bottom of their pads I personally think you should leave it be, and for showing they have to.

However, some people clip their Cavaliers for ease of grooming or in the Summer when they might get hot.

:)
  4. Petstalk

Petstalk New Member

CKCS coats don't need to be clipped x x
  5. Petstalk

Petstalk New Member

Are you thinking of adding a CKCS to your family?
  6. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    sometime in the future i would like to add another, but not decided which breed yet. trying to do lots of research. ive met quite a few ckcs and they seem to be all round great family pets, being good with children and other animals..just what i want. not met a nasty one yet
  7. Petstalk

Petstalk New Member

Ckcs are a really wonderful breed x x
  8. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    could you give me some information on their temperament. or do you know any good books?
  9. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    cavs have a fab temperment ideal little dogs they will walk miles or snuggle up instead they don't mind which

and no they require no clipping
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    What everyone has said is absolutely true, but many pet people do have their Cavs clipped. After neutering their coats go thick and fluffy spoiling the beautiful silky coat they had, it can at times for people then become difficult to manage, which is why they have them clipped.
  11. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    Cavaliers make great family pets, they have lovely natures and are sweet little dogs.Some people seem to think they don't need exercise, but when I had my cavalier he could walk for miles and loved being in a puddle!
    His coat was very easy to look after, just a good brush, especially on the ears and feathering.
    I am hoping to get a Cavalier in the future, hopefully next spring although everytime I see pics of Inca and Trixybird's dogs I want one sooner.:mrgreen:
  12. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    aww thats sweet Pam and your right all dogs need exercise
    xx
  13. ananab00

ananab00 New Member

Name:
    Laura
    hi, we've had our cav for 2 months, he's 4 months old now, and he's a star! We took him to puppy class and he was the best behaved out of all the dogs there.. he really is a lovely natured wee guy, and I'd recommend getting one to anyone. Really tolerant of kids and follows me round the house, cute! I've met a few other cav owners and most have said they work better with more than one, which I can see, he hates being on his own! We'll get another one, but in a few years I think!
  14. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Hi Laura, you little boy is very cute! They are very addictive - I have two :lol:
  15. Lu

Lu New Member

Name:
    Lu
    As for clipping, after my tri, Gracie, was "fixed" her coat got a little fuzzy and extremely thick. We are friends with a breeder who advised us that we should have her coat "thinned out" on her back. She took care of that for us and, though I didn't care for the look (it made her look like a long tailed Cocker, it seemed to help. We live in the South in the US and this kept her from getting too hot. Since it has grown back out, her coat seems more like it did before the surgery.
    Someone asked for breed info, I posted in the thread "Cavalier King Charles" if you want to read it. I'm sorry it was a bit long but I really believe in researching your breed.
    Lu