CKCS siblings? Questions

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by loopyloo76, Nov 3, 2010.

1. loopyloo76

loopyloo76 New Member

Name:
    lisa

CKCS siblings?

Hi all,

Me and my hubby are looking to buy two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in the near future and are wondering if its wise to get two siblings from the same litter? If so which sex combination would be best?

Many thanks
    Lisa.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    My personal opinion is that.. no its not sensible, nor responsible to get two puppies from one litter. I also dont believe an ethical breeder would let you take two.
    I would start off with just the one, and if you still feel like you can offer another one a home in a year or so then that would be the right time to think of getting another.
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    NEVER buy littermates, no responsible breeder will sell you two anyway. Id leave at least 1yr between buying puppies. Make absolutely certain that the parents of the puppy you buy has been tested for heart defects by a cardiologist and has the yearly certs as proof, and also that they have been tested for Syringomyelia, the brain problem.
  5. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    I wouldn't get littermates, I'd say wait a year, maybe even a few, but then again, my friend has 5 CKCS and 3 are very close in age, a few months in age difference between each one and it worked out really well. I suppose it depends how responsible you are and if you have experience of having dogs....
  6. loopyloo76

loopyloo76 New Member

Name:
    lisa
    Thank you for that, i never realised the implications of having 2 dogs from the same litter, i was just thinking of them keeping each other company. I think i need to find out more information before having a dog. I just didnt realise, i knew we wouldnt breed from them that is just all wrong but i thought for company that would be fine so thank you very much for that information.
  7. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Many people don't realise and end up with problems (though there are a few that have managed successfully).

Its really good that you are asking questions rather than just jumping in:)