Clumber Spaniels, Info wanted. General Chat

Discussion in 'Clumber Spaniel' started by pippam, Feb 1, 2012.

1. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a

Clumber Spaniels, Info wanted.

what can you tell me about them??

Whats life like with a clumber??
    What health tests are needed???

anything else you can add??

Another breed im fond of and want to learn more about :grin:

Much bigger in weight then cocker spaniels but around the same size??

Trainerbility? Family pets ?? Insurance???? Exercise time??
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i love clumbers :grin:

they arent that common though, dont quite know why as i think they are lovely dogs.
  4. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I'd love a Clumber, they're the right height that I'm looking for, but are classed as large breed dogs, which I can't afford atm :(

You're best people to ask are Tisklie (sp) and Stevel..
  5. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    Everyone wants the breeds celebs have and all these designer mutts are gaining great popularity but at the cost of many of our own native breeds.

They are really nice dogs ive been looking at them on the kennel club. Their rare but not vulnerable at least I didnt see that on the KC but they appeared to be vulnerable by the breed club apparently waiting lists can be a long time.
  6. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    id love a clumber but its the large breed that is confusing they are much heavier then cockers (more then double in weight)) but seem round about the same size in height as a cocker, ive been looking at pictures and cant really get a feel for the size.
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Don't forget there are two different lines of Clumber, show and working type. The show ones are a lot more heavy set than the workers.

I was seriously interested in the working type before I got my last pup. I contacted the breed club and was told that most working Clumber breeders had a long waiting list for pups and to be prepared to wait. I wasn't prepared to wait years, so I didn't pursue it any further.
  8. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    Thats what put me off the Skye terier they are so vulnrable id probably never get one o.0

I windowshop a lot on pets 4homes I would'nt buy anything from them just to look at what prices ect and price wise they seem to be about the same as a cocker and I saw 5 breeders with pups on their all pedigree most KC registered though if I were to consider one more at the time of choosing id probably go through the kennel club or breed club to find a good breeder. like I did with Millie.
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    WHy not address your questions to the experts?

Ie the relevant breed club which has all the information you need at their fingertips.

Also visit Discover Dogs at Crufts in March where you will get to meet them, either on Gundog Day on Friday or in the Discover Dog area all 4 days.

http://www.clumberspanielclub.co.uk/
  10. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Rare breeds often have minimal waiting lists - they tend to be rare because people don't want them so breeders are delighted when homes come along.

(Talking from experience and I love the Skyes!)
  11. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    I met one last year and became really fond of them they are a delightfull breed but alas so very rare! I think id be very lucky to find one at all.
  12. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    I met one in its ancestral home when I did work experience at Clumber Park! :grin: xx

Basil was lovely but very old by then, bless him! He was a chunky dog, very friendly and although he'd been active in his youth by this point in his life he was happy to just laze in the sunshine outside the Wardens Office lol. I love the 'olde worlde' look of the Clumber Spaniel - sort of reminds me of old pictures lol.
  13. Shangri-La

Shangri-La New Member

Name:
    Wendy
    My groomer in Canvey Island Essex Breeds Clumbers
  14. Stevel

Stevel New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Clumber spaniels?

Stubborn, pig headed, self willed, sheds copiously all year long, loving loyal and lovable.

They do have health problems or should I say can have if bred regardless of health tests.

Hips, were atrocious but in the last decade or so a lot hase been done to get hip scores down but it still, sadly, not rare to see clumbers with hip scores well above 60 and breeders still breeding from them:twisted: Aim for combined hip scores in single figures from both parents.

Eye tests are essential as clumbers can suffers from ingrowing eyelashes.

Being a longer bodied breed they can suffer from spinal problems but this is not that common but something to keep in mind.

DO NOT GET A PUB FROM A LITTER WHERE THESE TESTS HAVE NO BEEN DONE!!!!!

Size wise they are much bigger than a cocker. Show type can weigh in at up to 38 kg. Working types like mine are 27 -32 kg. Big dogs.

I am talking now about working type as that is what mine are. They need exercise, lots and not just physical as they have to mentally stimulated also.

They are excellent worktop sweepers. Being so long they can reach almost to the back of a kitchen top so all food has to be well pushed back or you will find your dinner/lunch mysteriously disappearing.

I have two, would I have Clumbers again

You bet!!!!!!!

With my springer (15kg)

[​IMG]

Crafty & sneaky

[​IMG]

Know how to put on the agony

[​IMG]

An attempt to give you a comparison of size. Here's Jago in a dog creche with mainly Springers of various builds and you can see just how heavy set the Clumber is. Jago weighs in at 28.5 Kg

[​IMG]

Hope this helps
  15. Angie1966

Angie1966 New Member

Name:
    Angie
    They are one of my favourite breeds........simply beautiful :007:
  16. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    I think they have stolen my heart I love them to pieces ^__^

Do you feed yours on raw dry food??? How much food per meal do they eat??

They are such lovely looking dogs but my worry is the shear strength I find millie is very strong so id hate to think how id get on with show type clumber o.0
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    why dont you try and do some voluntary work at a rescue or something, to get used to working with dogs of different strengths?
    i wanted a boxer, but after working with a rather strong reactive flat coated retriever, i changed my mind as i thought i wouldnt be able to handle them. after working with dogs alot longer, i now feel comfortable working around even giant breeds and handling them. i think alot of it is confidence, and once you have experience you find you get better.
  18. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    The clumber is definately top of my list the more I find out about them the more they appeal to me, the strength makes me nervous though I do have experience handling GSD's, dalamation, lurchers, greyhounds and red setters however these were very well behaved dogs, unfortunately their arnt really any rescues near to me with in reach of public transport as far as im aware :<

Millies training i comming along nicely and her confidence with strangers is improveing too jut her barking at the front door that ive got left to work on ^^
  19. Stevel

Stevel New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Mine are not trained to walk to heel and pull on the lead to a certain extent. Jago is the worst of the two but he does not pull to the extent that he is choking. It's mor of a constant tight lead.

Mine eat raw tripe with mixer and any veg, eggs, fish or other leftovers. Between 2 clumbers and 1 springer they share 900 grammes of tripe and mug full of mixer each with a splash of semi skimmed milk.

It costs me about £55 -60 per month for all three dogs. My dogs are trim and don't carry a lot of weight which for a working dog is how it should be.

Insurance is higher for the clumbers than the springer, about 50% more.

As with any dog, they can (& really should be if going be in an urban area, which mine aren't) be trained to walk well on the lead. The show type are much steadier and not so excitable.

Clumbers do need quite a lot of attention and can get bored as any other dog does.

With a Clumber in the house you will find copious amounts hair floating around and where it is silky can be difficult to lift off carpets, hence why I have ceramic ties throughout the ground floor.

Steve
  20. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    Awww lovely to see pics of your Clumber! :007: xx

They really are a stunning breed. Basil was 'past his glory days' when I met him lol.
  21. tilskie

tilskie New Member

Name:
    Tilskie
    I have two clumbers, the bitch had luxating patellas and one is still an ongoing problem.

As for the temperment, both of mine are fantastic with other dogs, cats and children, they are both very loving dogs.

As with many dogs I think they do need quite alot of exercise but mine are happier with long rambling walks with lots of sniffs than a full pelt run around the field.

Debbie Zurick at Sedgehurst kennels is so knowledgeable about the breed and very helpful, she would source some very good puppies :)