Cocker spaniels - Are they similar to cavaliers? Questions

Discussion in 'Cocker Spaniel' started by Nikki, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    mydoglover likes this.

Cocker spaniels - Are they similar to cavaliers?

I currently have a cavalier king charles spaniel and wondered are cockers spaniel quite similar?

I was going to go for another CKCS but find a decent breeder who does the right health checks in the breed is hard.

I would like to stick with a spaniel, My mum would not allow a springer though. I would like to carry on doing agility so will lead a active life.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. astle9

astle9 New Member

Name:
    Andy
    why not a springer? agility is good for a cocker, are you looking at a show or working cocker spaniel, my next dog will be a working cocker spaniel, very busy dogs and need a lot of mental as well as physical stimulation.
  4. crazycockers

crazycockers New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    Azz likes this.
    No, definitely more hard work than a cavalier, even show type have a lot more get up and go than a cavalier, I had cavs before cockers
  5. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    Bonni likes this.
    Wow this is an old thread! Didn't even know it was on here as at the time I put it on dogsey.

Since putting it up I've had a new addition who's a cocker cross cav,
    He's a gorgeous boy who also is doing agility.

My next dog will be a working cocker spaniel as I prefer them over the show line.
  6. mydoglover

mydoglover New Member

Name:
    mydoglover
    I've heard a lot of people say that.. Wonder why?!
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    They have been bred over the years to have very different purposes.
    A Cocker originally had to tolerate a full day's work in the field - it needs to be very active to flush game for the guns, in all terrains, and in all weathers. The show type Cocker was developed from them, but the concentration was on aesthetics rather than working ability.
    Cavaliers are a 20 century re-invention. Basically they a sturdier King Charles Spaniel with a longer nose - recreating the way the KIng Charles used to look before the Victorians got to it! The primary purpose of most breeds in the Toy group was to be a 'comforter', and provide love and warmth to their, usually female, owner. We look for a little more activity from our Toys these days, and Cavaliers do enjoy their exercise.
  8. mydoglover

mydoglover New Member

Name:
    mydoglover
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hey, that is some great information on Cockers, thanks for your inputs!