Color of the French Bulldog Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by John123, Jan 29, 2019.

1. John123

John123 New Member

Name:
    John

Color of the French Bulldog

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. :) I have 2 years old Frenchie and I'm planing to get another one too. I contacted with breeders and asked if they have puppies for sale. I thought that I found the perfect puppy, so I send half of the price to breeder and patiently waited for my new family member. But recently I started doing research about french bulldog colors and info that I found shocked me. Puppy which I bought is blue and I read that this color is considered ''fad'' and do not meet breed standards..
    Also, dogs with this color have gene that can cause medical condition called “Blue Dog Alopecia” that causes skin inflammations and baldness. If you want to read more about french bulldog colors. I inserted a link with article about that. Maybe someone of you have frenchie with blue color? What about its health? Thank you for your answers.. :(
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    My boy is blue and not considered (from memory) a recognised KC eligible colour, but I'm not breeding him so it doesn't bother me. His health is fine. And like I always say to everyone, any dog is susceptible to illness no matter what colour or breed. Like 2 cars that are exactly the same one can break down constantly and one can be absolutely fine, It's down to chance. I've never had skin issues with my little man, and the only thing he's had done is BOAS surgery which was whole my decision, and that was only to help him breathe easier, which the insurance covered. Hope this helps, but if you have any more questions feel free to ask, and I will do my best to give advice.
  4. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    One question I do have i forgot in my last post is, didn't you go to the breeder and see the puppy before accepting them? The breeder should have parents medical history and background if they are genuine and info on whether the puppies are prone to such conditions too? I'm not questioning your decision or the authenticity of the breeder, but you have to be 100% on everything about any dog you decide to chose. Again, just my opinion!
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The UK Kennel Club have similar rules about colour. They will still register these colours, but you may find that the registration certificate is endorsed as Colour Not Recognised, or similar wording. The reason is because genetically there has to have been another breed introduced in the past for these colours to exist in the breed. We have occasionally had owners of blue smooth-coated breeds, post on here about skin problems. This is not restricted to the French Bulldog breed - and as Gareth has said, it does not mean that all blue Frenchies will have skin problems.
    If you intend to show or breed from your puppy, do not buy an unrecognised colour. If you just want a pet French Bulldog, as Gareth did, use your own judgement. See the parents - or at least the mother - the stud usually belongs to someone else. Does she look happy, healthy, and well cared for? Does she breathe easily, or snuffle? Ask about health, do the breeders do any health testing? Will they let you see the certificates?
    Do not pay more for a blue, lilac, or other 'rare' colour, the standard colours are just as attractive - this is a lovely breed.
    Do let us know what you decide - and post photos!
  6. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    I just got my pup and since joining the forum I’m reading all of these scary stories about fad colors and major health problems on the horizon. Should I really be super concerned? Anyone have a older blue frenchie?