Coonhound info General Chat

Discussion in 'Coonhound' started by stunt monkey, Feb 13, 2009.

1. stunt monkey

stunt monkey New Member

Name:
    paul

Coonhound info

anybody got a coonhound?i live in england and think they arejust what i fancy.now the important part do they make good pets or not ?ive read various items saying they are not to be let off the lead but have seen other items saying they are fine but you must train them well in a safe place to come when called so hopefully some people out there have a scenthound and can give me some advice thanks.:mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    There are no Coonhounds in the UK. Wonderful dogs but very much working dogs, Id love a blue tick Coonhound.
  4. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    None over here as far as i'm aware, lovely dogs, an old pal of mine was looking into importing one over a few years ago.
  5. stunt monkey

stunt monkey New Member

Name:
    paul
    there are some in the country and i also like the look of the trailhound ,very similar to the coonhound but used in the uk, they are also known as the cumbrian hound.but i soooooo like the hounds.
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Trailhounds have been here forever! Show me the Coonhounds, have never seen one in the UK.
  7. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
  8. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Still dont think there are any in the UK. Id want to work them anyway, but I suppose I culd go out looking for those "Big Cats" that roam our countryside eh? :mrgreen:
  10. youngstevie

youngstevie

Never seen a Coonhound here. But there is a lady we meet every so often with a trailhound which she had from the ''trailhound Rescue'', she has him off lead, but did say it took alot of training, as when he used to pick up a scent he'd be off. I understand it took her a long time to ''recall'' but he's a beauty:lol:
  11. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    I move in hound circles and have never seen one in the UK either, believe there were some foxhound crosses about the someone gave a coonhound type title too but they were not true coonhounds. Agree with Dawn not pets they are working dogs.

Most hound breeds can be a problem off lead but some are more of a problem than others, would not know if this applies to coonhounds but suspect it does and also think they may only be happy in a pack situation.
  12. Archer

Archer New Member

13. stunt monkey

stunt monkey New Member

Name:
    paul
    check out dog rescue bilbo a treeing walker coonhound we were going to try and rehome him but we were beaten to it .
  14. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    There are quite a few in rescue here:-(

I have seen a couple in the flesh since being here, and I really love the Treeing Walker Coonhound, Came across a man in the woods with a couple, when I was out with Mack, the baying sound is wonderful:mrgreen: I thought they were fab dogs, and he thought Mack was great,but thought, until I had put him straight he was a Wolf Dog Mix:-( Sorry waffling, I didn't think you could get them in the UK either.

I think they can make great family dogs, if you keep them occupied and well exercised.
  15. stunt monkey

stunt monkey New Member

Name:
    paul
    i have just bought a treeing walker coonhound from a breeder in tamworth he has 1 left now a boy called shadow great looking dog,we got the little girl called zara .we thought we were in trouble today because she was really snappy going for our dog stan all the time but hopefully they have sorted out their problems now as they seem to be pals now .she has a 7 generation akc pedigree and a 3 generation ukc pedigree they are hoping to breed again next year and may consider importing a redbone next .i will post pictures soon,anyone who fancies 1 look up treeing walker coonhounds uk on google or reply on here and i will try to help.great dogs.
  16. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Congratulations on your new addition xxx

Looking forward to seeing her pics xxxx
  17. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

Correct me if I am wrong, but dont you have to have a recognized breed (in the Uk ) to !! enabling you to gain a pedigree ??

And as we dont have the Coonhound in the UK, how can they be recognized with the KC.

Rare imported breeds have to go on the import register , and adhere to regulations before they can be excepted onto the UK KC registration.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  18. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I don't think it's"our" KC:)

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/Home
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
  20. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I think they refer to ours as ukkc lol!
    Becky
  21. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Have you got any pics yet? I'm dying to see a little hound - I'm feeling doggy maternal at the moment and would love to see a coonhound puppy.