Curious - Mutt would like to know his breed... ID this breed/mix

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Calistal, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Calistal

Calistal New Member

Name:
    Crystal

Curious - Mutt would like to know his breed...

This is my darling baby puppy Keegan. He's only 3 1/2 months old. I am sorta curious (as is he I'm sure) of what breed he is. We're guessing German Shepherd and Chow - but my mother and I are no experts...not by a long shot. Any help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Hmmmmm, he is very cute and looks very cuddly, that's for sure :mrgreen:

I don't see Chow at all, maybe GSD, possibly Akita in there, which would/could explain his stockiness (but then many pups look stocky and don't when adults !)

How does he carry his tail ?
  4. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    ii see that akita now you say it malady!

maybe a GSD crossed Akita...then it was breed with something else???
  5. Calistal

Calistal New Member

Name:
    Crystal
    Mostly the stockiness is in the way he holds his body - when wet - he's got a semi slim build, very triangular ribcage (if thats how you would explain it) but he has a very wide stance.

Also - he carries his tail in that curve you see in the top picture when he's happy, but he has a confidence problem, so often the tail is hanging down - but still with a curve.
  6. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Well a curled up tail could indicate a Spitz breed in there somewhere, which could come from Akita/Malamute or a number of others really !!

Puppies are difficult because they change so much and can be very leggy when adults, which is surprising.

The colouring is odd too, brindle, could come from Mastiff/Pitt/Staff/Lurcher (pretty sure Boxer isn't in there) but he does look kind of puppy Mastiffy in the last pic :lol:

will be better to tell (hopefully) when he's grown and in more final proportion :mrgreen:
  7. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    i was going to say greyhound?? are they the same as a lurcher??? can you even get greyhound in brindle???
  8. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    No they're not the same, hence lucher being called a lurcher and grey being called a grey :lol:

Lurcher is a cross of 'hounds'.

Yes you can get brindle Greyhounds :mrgreen:
  9. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Think this one is a true Mut, lots going on there, GSD almost defiantly, some sort of mastiff may be, spitz, not sure, the tail does not turn from the set it is the end that is curled and most dogs will do that.

There is a long coat in there somewhere, wonder if the coat is double, long coat could be GSD or may be something else.

Does have a wedge head but may be the result of a GSD head combined with a mastiff type that may well have been a mastiff x staff. At one time most crosses and muts always had Staffie, or B. collie but those days seem to have changed and one no longer expects to see these breeds in 90% of mix breed dogs.
  10. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    My bet is proper mutt too...i.e. goodness knows how many breeds or combinations of breeds in there. The tail carriage doesn't really indicate anything either as it is common for mongrels to carry their tails high. I definitely don;t see Chow in him, bit of Shepherd maybe but it's not the predominant breed, IMO.

I know of an accidental mating of 2 purebreeds that produced brindle pups and neither of the parent breeds are brindle (brindle isn't even an option for either breed!) so I guess the colouring doesn't necessarily tell you a lot either.

It may become more apparent when he has finished growing but you may have to content yourself that you'll never know exactly what he is and just enjoy him for the unique individual that he is :)
  11. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    In our rescue, we see alot of chow crosses. (we rescue off of native reserves in Alberta Canada and they seem to favor Chows) I am going to contradict what others are saying and say that you might very well have a chow cross, as well, I also see some Akita. Our chow crosses almost always have the dished in faces and upturned noses. Does he have a spotted tongue? If so he may very well have chow or Akita as it is most common in Chow and Akita crosses. I have also seen brindling in our rescues, alot could be due to staffie, or Pitt, I've also seen brindle patches on Akitas, so maybe from that? Whatever he is, he is adorable and you will have alot of fun with your pup. Take pains to socialize him tho, as with chows and akitas, that is very important. I wonder if his ears will stand whe he starts teething?
  12. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I reckon he's a pure bred mutt as well lol! He's lovely though so enjoy him no matter what is behind him!
    Becky
  13. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    He is lovely...I suggest you keep posting pics as we can have a good guess as he begins to mature.I know too well the guesing game of I wonder what she/he is as I have a crossbreed too. I guess we will have to wait for the DNA breed test to come over here and get to an affordable price before we know for sure.
  14. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    oh haha!!! thanks for letting me know! :mrgreen:
    at least the brindle greyhound biut was right!

i thought staffy for the brindle...but Nothing else about him says stafffY!
  15. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Look at his tongue, he has a splash of blue on it, maybe there is some chow in there :grin:
  16. Calistal

Calistal New Member

Name:
    Crystal
    Will definitely keep posting pics - and I can get a breed test through Metamorphix (I didn't realize the UK didn't have that option?) for about $80. I think I'm going to wait on that, though, just for the fact that atm, its not as important as making sure he has lovely new toys and lots and lots of love.
  17. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Lots of dogs have spots of blue on their tongue. It seems particulalry common among Newfies but I've seen many other breeds/cross breeds have them too.

Incidentally, my Chow X's tongue is all blue like his mother's...the rest of the litter inherited the blue tongue too, as far as I know. Not the greatest photo but shows the colour of his tongue

[​IMG]
  18. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Many Spitz pups are lazy with their tails, even as adults, and when at rest many will hang their tails, so even though it doesnt look curled at the set, doesnt mean it's not from a Spitz type :grin:
  19. Calistal

Calistal New Member

Name:
    Crystal
    The picture of him here doesn't really do justice to how he walks with his tail when he's happy or hyper. He holds it curled over his back, if that description makes any sense what so ever. He doesn't do it often, but the tail is always curled - no matter if its up or down.
  20. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Don't know what mix he is, but he is too cute :mrgreen:

Welcome to Dogsey :D
  21. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Did not mean the way it was carried I meant the set, the dog can't change that as it is the way the spine is made. Admit only have a firm knowledge of the Elk. but would think all spitz have the same arrangement when it comes that part of the spine but may be not :)