Dalmatian Food Questions Questions

Discussion in 'Dalmatian' started by Madison G, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Madison G

Madison G New Member

Name:
    Madison

Dalmatian Food Questions

Hi everyone, I'm both new here and will be new to owning a Dalmatian. I'm getting a male around the end of August and while I've owned many dogs in the past, I'm not experienced with this breed yet! I'm trying my best to prepare long before he arrives to make sure I've got everything covered.

One thing I haven't quite figured out yet is food. I know I need a dog food low in purines to prevent him from producing urinary stones and issues related to that. I was just wondering what all of you feed your Dalmatians. The brands I have access to at my local pet stores are:

GO!
    Taste of the Wild
    Nutro Natural Choice
    Royal Canin
    Science Diet
    Blue Buffalo
    Acana
    Natural Balance
    NOW

I can't think of any others, there is quite a large selection (we have Total Pet & Petland). I didn't include grocery store brands because they're just not the greatest quality, especially for a breed prone to something like urinary stones (in my opinion). I don't think feeding raw would be a practical option for me, although I know it is a very good choice.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    If your getting a puppy then you will need to buy the same puppy food as breeder as been feeding him on, then if you wish to change the food do so slowly over a number of weeks, or your puppy may have the runs.
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    An exciting time for you - I bet you can't wait to get your new puppy!

I don't know anything about the best kind of food for Dalmations I'm afraid, but where I live there isn't much choice of good quality dog food locally. I have found the solution is to buy online and have it delivered. You can even get dog food from Amazon!
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    You must be so excited waiting for new arrival; Most breeders give out suitable diet sheets with puppies, but if not I would ask the breeder what they feed as they should know what food would suit him best. This link may be of help . http://www.dalmatianwelfare.co.uk/living-with/feeding/
  6. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Puppy time - exciting :D

Check out this article on Dog Food over at Dogsey :)

I would always recommend a species appropriate diet wherever possible.

Good luck with your pup, and please keep us posted - we love puppy pics! :lol:
  7. Madison G

Madison G New Member

Name:
    Madison
    Azz and 6JRT's like this.
    The breeder feeds them a dry food that I can't find locally unfortunately; it's a lamb and rice formula so I was hoping to find a food similar to it and then wean him off onto something better over time. I'll check out the links you guys suggested, thanks!

I've attached a file with the photo of my future pup!

Attached Files:

8. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    What an adorable puppy! Have you chosen a name yet?
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What an absolutely adorable pup! I do have a lot of food information for Dalmatians, knowing their special requirements regarding food low in purines, but it is about raw food and not kibble.

And as I do not know exactly where you are, the only thing that I can think of at the moment is Canine Caviar Holistic kibble - possibly their Lamp and Pearl Millet or Chicken and Pearl Millet ones.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/canine-caviar/

It is the only kibble I ever give to Pereg [the chicken one] although it is rarely because she is raw fed, but I know that it would be all the Pension would be able to give her if she was kenneled in and emergency, so I make sure she occasionally has it so she is used to it.

True she is not a Dalmatian and does not have their particular special dietary requirements, but she is epileptic and as such has her own.

I hope you enjoy your new pup when he arrives - have you given him a name yet? Quite possibly I have missed it if you have!
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    :049: I love your puppy he/she is gorgeous :007:
  11. Madison G

Madison G New Member

Name:
    Madison
    6JRT's likes this.
    Thanks for all the info! You guys are great.

I haven't named him yet, I'd like to meet him first to see what he suits. However, I'm choosing between the names Hudson, Harley, or Oakley!
  12. Madison G

Madison G New Member

Name:
    Madison
    So I'm thinking Taste of the Wild (lamb and rice formula) is my best bet! However there isn't a puppy version, but I think the percentages should be decent for a pup anyway. Thoughts?

25% Protein
    15% Fat
    4% Fibre

It's grain free.