Dal's and Horses? Behaviour

Discussion in 'Dalmatian' started by janine87, Feb 6, 2007.

1. janine87

janine87 New Member

Name:
    Janine

Dal's and Horses?

Hey,
    Not sure if this right place to post this topic? But i was wondering does anyone else have Horses?.
    I ride most days and take Lila with me and my horse Savannah - the reason i am asking is does your dog and horse get on really well?.
    I know Dal's were used for carriages but Lila is amazing , she just trotts along side or behind - and i got her at 9mths so she had never even seen horses before!.

Savannah really trust lila being around too , annoying sometimes when i'm trying to get out without Lila realising and sav wont budge but they both so good together , sav even lets me lead Lila down the road and is so careful of her.

Janine xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. flow-wolf

flow-wolf New Member

Name:
    jools
    I ride :lol:

Last time I took Flow down the lane with me and Candy,Flow lay in the middle of the road and wouldnt budge,we were trotting............poor thing was frightened to death....never been out with us again :blush:
  4. megan57collies

megan57collies New Member

Name:
    My Bc Meg adored one my horses. He was a big fella but they just clicked. She would walk out front and he would be so careful with her. Then she would sit behind me on the saddle when she wanted a ride. They would then play in the field playing chase.
    I was reading an article in the dog papers a few months ago and it was showing some sort of working trial including people on horseback with their dallies. I'll try and did it out for you. :)
  5. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Don't know the breed personally but they always seem to retain their affinity with horses whenever I've seen them
  6. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    my springerx border collie millie gets on great with my horse - in facts she rules him lol!!

she pushes him out of the way to get at his breakfast (then i push her outa the way so he can eat it in peace) she sits in his hay so he cant get it - tries to grab his boots off his legs

she cant ride out with us - cos i dont ride him anymore lol!!! but im sure she would be fine

i think that any dog that is introduced properly to horses at a young age will be fine with them.
  7. janine87

janine87 New Member

Name:
    Janine
    Hey,
    Glad others get along with horses too , mine love going out together - will upload some pics of them online in a minute x
  8. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    Blue met my friends horse for the first time the other day, she was terrified, but when we went into the field and I let her off the lead, she still tried to stay away, when my friend and the horse, woody, started to trot and then canter though, Blue instinctively ran alongside looking up at my friend! It was beautiful, makes me wish I could ride!!!!
  9. Alison2006

Alison2006 New Member

Name:
    Alison
    Louie gets on fine with Saphie my horse. I often walk them together at the farm, Saphie on the lead rein in one had and Louie on the lead in the other. When Louie starts bouncing around because he's seen birds or rabbits she'll just look at him and be totally unphased with his behaviour.
  10. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    Nova gets on great with Kiah's pony, FIona. She has never been around horse or ponies until November last year, she is almost 14 yrs old, and has never been phased at all by any of the horses, no matter how big, at the yard where Fiona is. All of the horses are used to dogs wandering about and have no problems with her pottering about all over. I don't take her with us though when Kiah rides out as Nova will wander off and can't hear me calling her.
  11. Mummy2Max

Mummy2Max New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    I have an arabian mare called Zayanaah, she had a bad experience with a dog once whilst we were on a hack, the dog came out of nowhere and started to swing on her tail. Since then she has always been nervous of dogs but for some reason, she and Max get along famously! she is the same with my friends Border Collie aswell they love each other.

Unfortunately the yard that I am at now do not like dogs on the yard as they have had a few incidents but we are allowed to take them around the fields etc. Whenever i take Max to get Zayanaah in from the field he runs across to meet her and tries to round her up :roll: she just gives him this look like "who do you think you are?!" :lol:
  12. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    Did you look into carriage dog trials, janine?

I wish I could do it but I can't afford riding lessons at the moment and am not comfortable enough with a horse yet to be able to ride one and control my dog at the same time!

Takara loves horses but she's not very calm around them, she recently met my aunt's horse (completely by accident and not in a controlled environment) and nearly got trampled for acting the goat around her :roll: so we may have to concentrate on stopping her going near horses rather than encouraging her...
  13. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    millie loves playing with tuscans legs - which can be a problem - my mates dog got kicked because of this which taught her to stay away (dog was not hurt)

millie was pratting about the other day, me telling her no - which she does understand and listen to and walked away - but that day she was messing with his back legs, my horse stepped back onto her foot, thank god i hace a deep bed of shavings - she had her paw stook between the floor and his foot, she squeeled, he lifted his hoof up and slammed it back down again -

amazingly enough she wasnt hurt - (btw i was screaming at the horse to get off - but thes thick sometimes and dosent listen) - but she still hasnt learnt - she still sniffs his back legs, despite me telling her no and moving her away which i always did

so now shes tied up outside cos she cant be trusted :<
  14. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    There's a lady that rides past my house almost daily, and it's really nice to see her Dally trotting gracefully alongside the horse. The pair of them (Horse and Dog) look in such harmony and like 'it should be' ;)
  15. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    Aw that sounds ace malady :grin:

I'd love to be able to do that... but with a dog like Takara and no horse it's gonna be difficult ;) lol
  16. hameldal

hameldal New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Hiya
    A lot of dalmatians will have a "coaching instinct" where they just seem to pick up on the horses movement and join in !

We are members of the british carrige dog society and as such try to promote the workign ability of the dalmatian in a traditiona role as road or coach dogs.
    The website has lots fo brill info and if you join membership includes fab newsletters with excellent trainign tips etc in :)
    The address is http://www.carriagedog.org/index.php?title=Home
    If you want to have a look :)

For members without horses there are people dedicated to try and help with available with carriages to halp train and compete which is brilliant :grin:
    Jules xxx
  17. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Karen's dad lets somebody keep horses in one of his fields. We feed them and my dogs stand up at the gate and touch noses.