Do any of you have Irish Terriers? General Chat

Discussion in 'Irish Terrier' started by Sara, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara

Do any of you have Irish Terriers?

I was going through the dogs in Canada magazine and I stumbled across the Irish terrier. I have been doing alot of reserch into St. Poodles as I would like to have a hunting dog that is not a lab and have met and worked with some amazing poodles. However after seeing this terrier, and discovering how amazing my terrier mix is, I am seriously considering this spunky little guy. By the reserch I've done, it sounds as if he'll fit well into my home. The training and socialization needed for this breed is easy enough for me as I love training my dogs and taking them everywhere with me.
    My current dog Scout is a terrier spaniel mix and is one of the most amazing dogs out there. I can teach her anything and she just loves to please. A velcro dog through and through. Her being deaf doesn't phase her and I could not have asked for a better dog. My last terrier, Benji was also an amazing dog and was smart (to the point of manipulating my spaniel when he wanted what she had)
    Its kinda funny. I was never really a Terrier fancier, but why wouldn't I consider getting one as I have had much sucess with them eh?
    It sounds as if the Irish is as versitile as a poodle without me having to put on a rediculous show coat if I wanted to show them (Which has always interested me) And the terriers can retrieve game as well as excell at agility, Rally-O, and any other Sport I'd like to do.
    So heres my question's
    1- Can the dog aggression that I've read about be trained out of them?
    2- can they be trained to run Off leash at a dog park?
    3-How much do they shed? Can it be controlled with stripping/clipping?
    4-Can I train them not to eat my roommates Guinne Pig and Hamster?
    5-Are they a good companion?

Thanks for any help
    Sara
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!