Do Mini Schnauzers bar a lot? General Chat

Discussion in 'Miniature Schnauzer' started by Hapi, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Hapi

Hapi New Member

Name:
    Dorothy

Do Mini Schnauzers bar a lot?

Hi everyone,
    I have an 8 month old Apso and am looking for a friend for him. I would really like a Mini Schnauzer but keep reading that they can be very noisy!!
    Can anyone tell me if their barking is any worse than any other breed and a real problem?

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Asti

Asti New Member

Name:
    Alison
    Well, I have to say, from Asti's point of view she is very vocal compared to any other dog I've owned. They are watchdogs you see and their hearing is second to none, and their eyes come to that. Any slightest noise outside will start Asti off so I leave the tv on all day whilst she is sleeping in the sitting room just medium volume so she can't hear outside. The thing is though, they have the most loveliest of temperaments and that in itself is worth having one. :) Good luck with whatever you decide.
  4. Asti

Asti New Member

Name:
    Alison
    I'm sure some other mini Schnauzer owners will be along soon to give you their take on it.

By the way Hapi, welcome to Dogsey. :)

Alison and Asti
  5. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Hapi :) I have had Schnauzers for many years and have never had a problem with mine barking excessively.

I usually teach mine to bark/hush on command.
  6. Hapi

Hapi New Member

Name:
    Dorothy
    Thanks for replying - I am going to go ahead and find a Schnauzer friend for Frodo. From everything I read they are easy to train and willling to please so the barking isn't that big a deal. Probably my obstinate little Apso is more of a problem!!

Why are all dog breeders in the North of England or Wales?!!:?

I will try to find out how to put a picture on the forum and when I get my puppy I'll post a picture of Frodo and friend!

Many thanks
  7. Schnauzerbabe

Schnauzerbabe New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Hello Hapi and welcome I have a nearly 4 year old Miniature Schnauzer bitch called Lexi she is an absolute darling and I am sure if you do choose a mini you will not regret it up until a couple of weeks ago she was virtually silent but has discovered the wonder of chasing birds and now she is on constant guard duty at our Patio window and if any bird dares to come to near the house well she lets you know hehe ...:grin: :grin:
    Sue and Lexi:)
  8. Asti

Asti New Member

Name:
    Alison
    Sorry Hapi, I forgot to add that I had Asti from her breeder at the age of five months old as we wanted an older puppy, she had been used to living with a pack of mini's and of course when one barks they all do :lol: So she was already very vocal when we had her, although she has calmed down a hell of alot now she's getting older.
  9. A1schnauzer

A1schnauzer New Member

Name:
    Lyn
    Hi Hapi, I have 2 mini's and mine can be vocal especially when excited! Having said that I wouldn't change them for the world. I am sure all the miniature schnauzer owners (slaves :lol:) would agree, once you have had one you won't ever want to be without one. They are great characters and very intelligent. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lyn