Do You Teach Your Dog To Beg? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Johnclick, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    6JRT's and Azz like this.

Do You Teach Your Dog To Beg?

I have never taught any of my dogs to go into the 'begging' position because I never wanted them to get the idea that 'begging' was a good way to ask for something. After I got my Beagle, Pikey, from a local shelter, I was surprised when he assumed the 'begging' position at feeding time. Now, I've found that he also uses this position when he wants to go out or when he wants to go on a walk. I suppose this is inconsequential, and there is no way to reverse his training. I'm wondering if other dog lovers train their dogs to 'beg'. It is not a command like 'sit' and 'stay'.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Not quite sure what the begging position is.

Mouse and prior mastiffs have always done the lay and give you a longing look, if you jd some type of food they really wanted.
  4. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    That's a cute thing that Mouse does. The begging position for Pikey is to sit upright with his front paws folded and look pitiful. The Puli we had for 16 years didn't beg, but he would go over to where his leash was dangling and nudge it with his muzzle, indicating :Lets go for a walk".
  5. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    6JRT's likes this.
    Yes, like this -
    [​IMG]

She used to sometimes throw that trick out if she wanted something because she knows it always gets an 'aww' reaction ;)
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pereg sits with her right front paw sharply up and across her chest - but she is not begging as such, it is her "please Mommy" pose when she asks for her food, and then she will do the same "please Mommy" pose when I put it down until I tell her she may eat.

I did not teach her to do that though, she copied it from Little One - who I did not teach it to either. She just started doing it when she was a couple of months old.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I don't really need to answer - his avatar says it all! However, in Ed's case, it isn't really a beg, it is one of the static positions in Heelwork to Music, and Eddie's cue is the word 'Pose'. Beagles are ideally constructed, (broad rear end, and low centre of gravity), to perform this, and need almost no training to do it. They also very soon realise that it gets smile and an 'Aahhh', - and don't they all just love to show off!
  8. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Sometimes at the dinner table one of us will start to narrate one of those gawdawful humane society ads. "For only pennies a day you can help this poor starving beast"...I swear they know how to suck in their sides and cheeks to look more pathetic. Sophie puts her head on your knee, Callie just lays under the table looking sad. You don't have to teach them to beg, they figure it out on their own just fine.
  9. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    She's really cute in that pose. I don't think people who love dogs do this anymore, but "Beg" was sometimes a command the same as "Sit" or "Stay". I've never used that as a command for Pikey. For him, I think it's just a way to communicate. It's not a problem, but I'm happy that dog trainers don't use it as one the commands.
  10. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I've never taught any of my dogs to beg mainly because I don't like dogs hanging around the dining table whilst you're eating a meal. Georgina and Gwylim never bother me when I eat my evening meal (which is usually whilst I'm watching TV) and am using a knife and fork. At lunchtime however, if I have a sandwich, they'll come and sit in front of me with a hopeful look on their faces but neither of them actively begs. The only time they do that is when I'm sitting at the kitchen table cutting up cooked meat for their evening meal. I'll hear a low rumble from Georgina and when I look down she'll be standing under the table looking directly at me with Gwylim sitting quietly by her side!
  11. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I call it Meerkat sit all my JRT's sit this way (but they are not begging)

K9 doing his Meerkat sit
    2014-12-17 12.56.50.jpg
  12. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    6JRT's likes this.
    That's exactly what Pikey does. I guess it should be called the 'asking' position since he uses it for things other than food. Thanks for the picture; K9 is absolutely beautiful.
  13. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Ya that would be a hard pose for a mastiff.
    Quite cute though.