Do your small dogs ask to be picked up? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Mother*ship, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J

Do your small dogs ask to be picked up?

I have 2 Affenpinschers one of whom I pick up a lot and the other one hardly ever and I realised it was because Gozo asks! :lol: He bounces up and down by feet then when I bend down he either jumps into my arms or sits back on his hauches so I can pick him up more easily.

Enzo hardly ever does this but dives in for a snuggle the minute I sit down. :grin:

So do any ones else small dogs do this?

J.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    Misty does, she's not really that small, but she does a running jump at me, and I have to catch her or she sulks, or she'll stand in front of me jumping up and down until I get the hint!

Both Midge and Charlie (Terriers) jump up at me until I pick them up for cuddles! Tilly (Also a terrier) isn't bothered at all, but I do still pick her up and cuddle her sometimes!!

I know they aren't toy dogs, but they are still small enough for me to comfortably pick up!

x
  4. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    I did think about putting this in general because it's not about toy dogs specifically but i had a feeling it would be moved! :grin:

J.
  5. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Tilly asks to be picked up ALL the time! she much prefers being cuddled and held than being on the floor. On walks, if she gets fed up (usually if it's too muddy...fair enough, she is smaller than a cat!) she'll ask to be picked up too.
  6. pinklizzy

pinklizzy New Member

Name:
    N/A
    Kindly (Japanese Chin) would do this-jump up at my legs and whine, usually when she thought she'd walked quite far enough thank you ;-) , or if she was cold. (We used to commute by train to work when I lived in London and she found the early mornings chilly, so I used to sit on the train with her zipped into the front of my coat :lol: )
  7. Labman

Labman New Member

Name:
    Ted
    My puppies do when they are small. I manage to teach them to do so without jumping up on me.
  8. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
    Toby doesn't realise he's not a puppy anymore! He still thinks he's small enough to curl up on my knee...he's not! He still comes up for a cuddle if he's tired but I can't hold him for long
  9. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    My Ollie sits and looks at me wagging his tail when he wants me to get on the floor so he can sit on my lap for a cuddle. The thing is he's not a toy breed he's a 35 kg GSP who thinks he's a lap dog!
  10. bugzy

bugzy New Member

Name:
    kelz
    Meeka and Bugzy ask to be picked up, Bugzy will jump into your arms as soon as you bend to pick him up, and Meeka will try to climb up my legs if she thinks I am ignoring her demands to be picked up.
    I dont have a problem with the minpins wanting to be picked up for cuddles, they are small and light so is not really a problem..
    The only problem I have these days is I think Aura ( the boxer ) thinks she is an oversized,squishy nosed, Min Pin!
    She doesn't understand the size difference and thinks if the Min Pins can be picked up and cuddled so can she :)
  11. spaznchevy

spaznchevy New Member

Name:
    Madelyn
    yes my 2 min pins Spazie(R.I.P) and Chevy both ask to be picked up but Spazie that dog had to b in the middle of everything all the time i miss her so:( but im hopein Chevy my 4month old min pin grows up to b half the dog spazie was
  12. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    Gozo never wants to be picked up when we're out...unless there is a puddle he can't get around, he hates getting his paws wet. :lol: But other than that he can walk me off my feet!

My friends Elkhounds think that they are lap dogs, I love it! But I come away from her house completely grey.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess this is the opposite of a big dog in a small body. :lol: :lol: :lol:

J.
  13. AmyH-Cornwall

AmyH-Cornwall New Member

Name:
    Amy
    Although not a toy breed Monty (4 1/2 Months) also loves to be picked up! He is getting heavy! :lol:

He will not stop trying to crawl up our legs until we do! Spoilt???? No course not!! :p
  14. Miranda53

Miranda53 New Member

Name:
    Miranda
    No, I can't say BeBe asks to be picked up, but that doesn't stop me :lol: . I love cuddling my little baby!!
  15. miz66

miz66 New Member

Name:
    Miranda
    My Chihuahua hates to be picked up, I think he thinks he's a big dog. He loves getting his coat on getting on an extendable lead and trudging about in the country. He is only 16 months old so has lots of energy to burn off.