Does anyone have any experience of a beauceron?? Questions

Discussion in 'Beauceron' started by mac82, Dec 10, 2011.

1. mac82

mac82 New Member

Name:
    mac82

Does anyone have any experience of a beauceron??

the beauceron is a breed i have only recently become aware of. does anyone have any experience with this breed of dog?? i will be going to discover dogs and have already researched quite extensively but have yet to meet any? (any pup i considered buying would be 3 to 5 years hence and thats if i feel they are suitable for my situation!!!)
    any experiences good or bad would be gratefully received.:grin: :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The true Beauceron is a very strong working animal, I have seen only one person try to compete with one, and that male was far too strong in both mind and body for the owner, an experienced handler in large breeds.

Gwen Bailey did not have any success with hers, but she did not enter many WT competitions. Hers, Spider, was a very amenable and biddable dog.

I have yet to see one that impresses me with its working ability.
  4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Sorry no experience but just to say I met one for the first time at Discover Dogs a few weeks back. I walked past this striking, big, black dog with a few tan markings and could not resist going over! Didn't realise he was a Beauceron until the owner told me. He was a lovely dog :)

The only thing I know about them is that they are very strong, powerful dogs :)
  5. mac82

mac82 New Member

Name:
    mac82
    yes well aware dont worry!!! it is a breed i would only take on if i knew i could that is what i need to look into most which is why i need to meet as many as possible!!! hard when they are such a rare breed, have experience with herding working and guarding breeds all very strong minded and bodied, not a dog to get on a whim!!!!! thank you very much for all feed back,am aware i could change my mind on meeting them!!!
  6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    If you can travel down south, then every July the Beauceron Club UK holds its Companion Show, just a few miles south of Bristol, at Meg Purnell-Carpenter's kennels. I went this year and saw plenty of Beaucerons including some stunning Harlequins.

I posted some pics of the show on here at the time, I'll have look for the link later on.
  7. mac82

mac82 New Member

Name:
    mac82
    oh thank you very much!! will have a look at their site had not thought of going to see that!!! have already been on the club site was disappointed they didnt have more written about the temperament to be honest. i like both colourings not bothered at the moment about that, have narrowed down the breeds i intend to have over a lifetime to 11!!!! some feat let me tell you!!! he he he. many thanks for info!!!!
  8. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I have a couple of friends who have them - one does obedience and one runs with a team of sled dogs.

I like them very much but they are demanding exercise and training wise and I think need to be busy :)
  9. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    A lady who stewarded an Obedience class for me this year has one & she does Obedience with him-not a dog for the faint hearted as others have written-Gorgeous dog but needs lots & lots of work
  10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Here's the photo thread from the show:
    http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=151929

Probably the best place to meet Beaucerons and their owners as it is such a nice relaxed fun day out and get-together for Beauceron owners, as well as an open Companion show for all dogs.
  11. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  12. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Not much help but there's one on Marmaduke :D it took me a while to figure it out but I got there - with no internet :D
  13. Rigrunner

Rigrunner New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    For anyone wanting to see Beaurcerons 'en masse', the next fun day is this Saturday (28th) at Overhills Kennel
  14. duRM

duRM New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Azz likes this.
    Hi I am digging up this old post as I have just come across it.
    I have 6 beaucerons, 2 males and 4 females.
    Each dog has its own temperment and likes and dislikes.
    Eireann the oldest will be 9 this year and is a real couch patotoe...
    Then comes Hisme (Male) and his sister Houfti who will be 6 this year. Hisme works with sheep and Houfti is a show dog.
    Following them is Dora who will be 4 this year she does obedience.
    Then Kúmchroí (male) and his sister Kúnamara (female), Mchroí is a house dog and Kúnamara a show dog.
    They live in perfect harmony with a 14 year old Jack Russel Terrier Galopine (female) and a x Chihuahua of 7 months Mistral (male).

If anybody wants to meet beaucerons they will be shown at Crufts on Thursday the 6th of March 2014 and of course will be in the Discover Dogs Village.
  15. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi Kate, I am glad you have posted - I've always been interested in the breed but have never saw one - they are rare here! :lol:

So I bet you know what I am going to ask... can you post some pics for us in this section please? :D
  16. duRM

duRM New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Azz likes this.
    Will do when I get home from work...

And they are not as rare as that now in the UK.
    I know quiet a few
  17. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks Kate - I will look forward to seeing them :D

Do you know many people with them? Reckon you could twist their arm to submit some photos for the profile? That would be awesome if you could :p
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I look forward to seeing some photos too. They are impressive looking dogs.
  19. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz