Dog breed mixes Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

Dog breed mixes

Wow. Just wow. I am trying not to judge but I just saw a St. Bernard/Beagle mix pup on in an ad. The mom is the Beagle...wow. Just wow. That poor dog! I wonder how many pups she had.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Jcarpentier likes this.
    What the... if it was unknown and unsuspected breeding - but surely they did not know? A simple shot could have stopped an unwanted mating.

That mix is, as you said, just wow. And wrong.

Accidental matings are one thing, but something like that, when it could have
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Its very sad to me. I am wondering if she had trouble with the birth as those pups would have been bigger than a purebred Beagle at birth...
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    This would be someone who should not even own dogs if this was intentional.

The health risks to the mother and the amount of milk the pups would most likely need, would be hugely taxing on the mother.

I also would have a lot of concerns as to the structure of the offspring and the health issues this could cause.
  6. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Definitely all good points @LMost. Its crazy... and people are going nuts over them! I can't understand it...
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If this litter had to be, (it didn't - antiprogestins can be given up to 45 days into a pregnancy, and a gravid spay is often a sensible option), let's just hope that the Beagle was the father.
    I wonder if they have a silly name for the puppies - Beaglards, or St. Berneagles?
  8. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    @CaroleC, it was an ad on Facebook and they stated in the comments the mother is the Beagle...
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Jcarpentier likes this.
    Oh dear.
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Whether or not this was intentional, this owner should not be allowed to own a dog, IMO. The dogs don’t know better, it’s up to the owner to make sure something like this doesn’t happen, it is horrifying. This is why many/most shelters in the US spay all animals before adopting them out, no matter their age. The county I live in has a law that all pets be spayed at 6 months old, and it is illegal to breed dogs as well, all because of the people who don’t keep their animals under close watch watch while in season. Now I think this law is draconian but understand why it exists, to many unwanted and accidentally breed dogs, not health checked, etc.
  11. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    It is very sad, to say the least.